1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for mySQL, PHP/ASP Guidance

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by tabspace, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

Hello,

I am wanting to start development on a site in which the content would be sortable and filterable and the only way I would think this could be done is via mySQL database. I have somewhat of an understanding how it works and how PHP/ASP would tie into it, but dont know most of the functions.

Basically my site will have a list of a bunch of different companies that all have different attributes and the user could filter by certain attributes or sort the companies A-Z or Z-A or a combination of filter and sort.

Next step, I would like to take the list of companies and add the option for people to add reviews/comments and a rating that i assume would also be stored in the database.

I have 0$ to start this thing up, so having someone do it for me is not an option; however if someone could offer some guidance or is willing to work on it for free with me, i would be more than greatful. I could barter some webspace or other things possibly.

Maybe there is just an easy to read site or book that could give me guidance as well.

Reply back with any guidance you have or email me at [email protected] for more information on the project.

Thanks.

Jason

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

I think the best way to learn would be to write some php code that interacts with a database.

With each script you write you will gain more experience. And php is rather easy so it shouldn't take too long. :)

3. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

Thanks MMJ. I have been doing some tutorials over PHP and mySQL and have been able to setup a database, a table, and interact with it in a few ways.

I have created a form, in which I want to send out to people to come to the website and register. The form works and updates the database; however, I would like to be a little more specific about my request.

Does anyone know how to query the database through a link so that they are only able to update information for that item. Even better would like to see it not be able to update again afterwards.

for instance, i would like to email out "please go to http://domain.com/register.php?id=1 and have them enter information for ID 1. I would already enter their name, and could even have it display welcome "name", please fill out your information.

the site is not going to be popular, so i dont think i really have to worry about people going to the site as ?id=1 and then realizing they could probably go to id=2 and edit that information too, but i thought that maybe i could also include a field in the database called auth and put in some random digits so that the link would be like register.php?id=1&auth=A345DG which would update id=1 only if the auth is correct.

Please help if you can.

Thanks.
    Jason

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice