1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for new desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKTaber, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I've had my XP desktop since 2008. Two years ago the card reader had to be replaced and 3 months ago the HD died (without warning, despite it being a SMART drive). It works fine now, but will be 5 years old this year and is using an OS that, let's face it, has entered the realm of "legacy equipment". Since I also provide tech support to a number of families/organizations (one of which just bought a Win 8 laptop), I need to be up to snuff on Win 8, so am looking for a new desktop.

The computer is used for business (Access databases, which I design; complex Excel spreadsheets; Word; e-mail and Web surfing). Do not play graphics-intensive games, but I am not very tolerant of slow-loading Web pages, movies that have to pause periodically, etc., so want one that is graphically fast. I prefer not to spend more than $1000.

I've done a fair amount of research and am most impressed by the HP Envy Phoenix h9-1330, but I'm not crazy about HP's support or reliability ratings. Anybody have an opinion on the Envy Phoenix series, or have any suggestions about other high-performance office computers?

2. Simba7

Simba7

ugh.. Windows 8..

Anyway, have you looked at other manufacturers like Lenovo, Asus, etc?

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Yes; didn't see anything that is better than the HP for the same or similar price. User reviews for several Asus desktop indicate they have some reliability problems. Lenovo would actually be my 2nd choice, but I'm also leery because it's a Chinese company. China attacks our computer systems daily, and you have to wonder whether they've put something on the Lenovo mobos that sends information back to China. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it's a concern.

BTW, I had the same opinion ("ugh!") of Win 8 based on what I read about it BEFORE I was exposed to it in Staples by a knowledgeable associate. I don't care for the Metro screen because I probably won't use many of the apps, and for the way I use a PC, it does nothing for me that I don't already have with Win XP and (on my laptop) Win 7. And some things take more clicks to get to that in previous Win versions (why M$ put the shutdown button in the Charm bar and why the Mail app only supports IMAP, not POP3, servers is beyond me). But it also has some really nice features, like start typing anything you want to find in an empty place on the Start screen and Search automatically opens. Searches are extremely fast, and so are most other actions -- faster than in Win 7. For the first time in any Windows you can refresh the OS within Windows; no need to reformat and reinstall.

In addition, if I don't like dealing with the Metro interface, I can install Classic Shell free to make it look and act like Win 7.

Is it different? You bet -- VERY! But from what I've seen and the tutorials I've read in the last week or so, my guess is that within 3 days, it should be 2nd nature.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice