1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for new memory for my Toshiba laptop C55-A5310

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynx1021, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

I was looking to upgrade my memory on my laptop. It came with 1-2gb stick and 1-4GB stick for a total of 6GB.
    I used Speccy to look at the Ram and I learned something, You can run 1.5volt ram and 1.35volt ram together in the same laptop! The 4GB is 1.35volts Kingston TSB16D3LS1KBG/4g and the 2GB is 1.5volts Kingston TSB1600D3S11ELD2g. I want to upgrade to at least 8GB so I guess I am looking for another TSB16D3LS1KBG/4g stick to match up or do I need to max it out to two 8GB=16GB?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Toshiba Satellite C55-A5310 laptop supports a maximum of 16 GB(8 GB X 2) of RAM.
    It uses 204-pin, 1.5 volt, CL=11, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, DDR3 modules.

DDR3L modules run at 1.35 volts, so it's my guess that's what your 4 GB module is.
    If you Google search that model number, you should be able to find it on Amazon or elsewhere for sale.

I seriously doubt you'll get any added speed benefit from using 16 GB(8 GB X 2) over 8 GB(4 GB X 2).

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Thank you flavallee, I found another 4GB stick for $16 and ordered it. The 8GB sticks were about $40.I was just surprised that the 2gb was 1.5volt, didn't think you could mix them. It has windows 8.1 on it now and I may put windows 10 on it later. I maxed out my desktops memory because I found them cheap and they don't make them anymore. I wondered why the Kingston memory started with a TSB instead of a K and from what I read TSB is system-specific memory for Kingston. The next upgrade for my laptop is an SSD, the hard drive in it tested at a pitiful 84 MB/s, the HD on my desktop was 118MB/s my new SSD on my P43T is 294MB/s.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.
    Good luck with the new 4 GB module. (y)

I read the marketing specs on your model laptop, and it did come with mismatched DDR3-1600 modules (4 GB + 2 GB).
    I never understood why manufacturers do this. :confused:

According to its marketing specs, yours has this Intel processor, so spending extra money for 16 GB would be futile.
    8 GB is plenty.
    Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice