Looking for obscure Dell desktop drivers...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pentium_III_guy

So I have a Dell SmartPC200D that needs a complete wipe to remove the malware infesting the hdd. Thing is, I can't locate the drivers for the thing online. Where to go next?
The closest thing I can find on Dell's site is '150D' and '300D' drivers, but who's to know what could go wrong by using the wrong set of system drivers... It's worth noting the system was purchased in China; therefore Dell USA (English!) doesn't offer tech. support in any form. According to them help is just a toll phone call away to Kuala Lampur. Does any helpful folk here know what the Americanized equivalent of this box is called and if the drivers will work? Thanks in advance.

Oh boy, that's an oldie. Is there a service tag on the computer case somewhere? If there is you can go to the Dell website, open an account, enter the service tag and get the appropriate drivers. They keep a pretty complete history, I've recently obtained drivers for a PC made in 2005.
Oh, just read the part about China - well, check for the sticker anyway.

Pentium_III_guy

With the service tag (5QD5011)the Webpage correctly decides the comp. was purchased in China and does not offer a download nor even an email option to ask a Dell tech. re. drivers - gotta love Dell (The box isn't mine, I swear.) I may be able to hunt down *similar* drivers, e.g. 150d, 300d, but no specific matches. On the contrary, Dell's driver library isn't vast or very relevant. Only by Googling have I found any drivers remotely useful. My next course of action is to join the Dell forums and ask there.

Using that service tag, I'm able to find some drivers on the Dell website after logging into my account and adding your service tag to my list. It's not saying anything about having to go to China. I need to know what operating system you are using and what drivers you need.
Did you set up an account before looking up the service tag?
Even so, the selection of drivers is rather limited so I'm not sure these will be enough...

@win2kpro: Dell uses proprietary motherboards, so not sure that will mean anything.

@win2kpro: Dell uses proprietary motherboards, so not sure that will mean anything.
Dell primarily used Intel boards made Dell proprietary by using a Dell written BIOS. In most cases of proprietary boards the only things changed were board features, i.e. no AGP slot when the standard Intel board would have a AGP slot, less fan headers than a standard Intel board, etc. Normally, the chipset, onboard graphics and onboard LAN, onboard audio, etc. were the same as used on the standard Intel Board.

If the board is an Intel board made proprietary for Dell they normally have the original board model number stenciled right on the board which can be very useful in locating drivers.

@Pentium_III_Guy, when you start the machine up do you get a Dell splash screen? Do you get a prompt to "press F2 to enter setup"?

Pentium_III_guy

@Pentium_III_Guy, when you start the machine up do you get a Dell splash screen? Do you get a prompt to "press F2 to enter setup"?
Today I went hunting around the BIOS a bit to locate any possible hidden partition info and associated drivers. On the way there the only image I'd noted was a 'Long Feng' splash screen, not uncommon for boxes built over here as another rig I have also displays some sort of Asian firmware. (The BIOSes are standard Phoenix and Award fare.)

Though I didn't locate anything meaningful in BIOS, I later rummaged around home and found the Dell 'System Recovery' discs, which are uselessly set up to run *Mandarin* XP OEM. Just wondering if I can scavenge the drivers from those?

In the U.S. Dell normally sent a set of reinstallation discs and the Windows reinstallation disc was marked as an operating system reinstallation disc, then they would have other discs with drivers, applications, etc. With XP Dell generally had 4 or 5 discs as a set and the operating system disc was a separate disc.

With companies that used recovery discs the recovery discs were image discs that would bring back the machine to original configuration, (operating system, drivers, pre-installed applications, etc.) I don't recall any Dell systems I serviced that used recovery discs such as the ones used by HP/Compaq and others.

If the disc you have is just an operating system reistallation disc you would still need to locate your drivers.

Pentium_III_guy

A poster on the Dell forums sent me a link to the Mandarin ver. of Dell where the page lists the driver sets for similar Dell boxes. http://support.ap.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=115897&l=zh&c=cn&s
Pretty much all the SmartPC related stuff that's useful is there except for - that's right - the 200D. Google translated, the page mentions sth re. the production date for the 200D. Seems to read like its production date somehow invalidates it for driver support, or at least makes it harder to get (go figure).
At this stage it appears I really will need to crack open the box to get a reading for the hardware and associated drivers. So long as I can track down the chipset drivers I figure my chances are alright.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
If the computer has XP installed you can usually find out what hardware needs drivers by opening Device Manager, then right click an unknown ! or ? device, then Properties, the the Details tab, and finally choose Hardware Ids from the dropdown menu.

It should show something like PCI\VEN_1234&DEVICE_5678&SUBSYS_12345678. Then go to http://pcidatabase.com and enter the numbers for PCI\VEN (the vendor ID) and DEVICE (hardware type). That will usually lead you in the right direction, and hopefully the vendor website still has drivers that will work.

Edit: Googling the "PCI\VEN_1234&DEVICE_5678&SUBSYS_12345678" string also is sometimes helpful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online