1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for opinion on Laptops

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by PaveFE, Feb 16, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Hey all,

My wife and I are looking into buying a laptop. I kind of like Dell, but want to get a majority opinion if possible. What do you all consider the best, or even a comparable Laptop computer. I want certain things, such as:
    No WinXP, I'd rather have Win98 or Win2000, I hate XP
    A good processor and RAM
    Hard Drive does not have to be that big
    Minimum 15" monitor

Mostly, just a product with good reliability rate.

Any inputs ??

Thanks

2. BTex

BTex

Just be carful several brands of laptops use the regular pc processors and they get really hot. make sure that they have a processor built for notebooks intel calls there the mobil.

Built one the other day that has a gig of memory and 40 gig hd and 2.0 mg processor
    that thing would scream it is a demo for a customer
    Also alot of companies including the one that i work for buy from two major sulpiers Asus and Copal then it is assembled and a logo is attached. We have some of the same models that Dell sells.

And DEll does make nice machine

HEAT IS THE BIGGEST THREAT TO LAPTOPS keep them setting on a hard surface

3. Deke40

Deke40

I have a refurbished Acer TravelMate 506DX that my daughter gave me as my first pc. I was going to use it as a temporary one but 2 years later it is still going strong. I have it on broadband and it usually runs around 85+ on the resources. Had to replace the internal modem as I had a bad surge during a lighting storm. Now have a external modem with the RR connection going through a USB port.

4. Wino

Wino

Dell, IBM, Toshiba all usually top rated. Do not recommend Compaq/HP (have owned Compq laptop & PC - never again). Currently have Gateway (1 yr. old) and completely satisfied with performance and support (so far). From a cost stand point (and IMO performance and features) Toshiba and Gateway are most cost effective vs. IBM or Dell (usually about $800-1K difference feature-to-feature). Get as many features as your budget can afford - after market laptop upgrades are costly. Chances getting pretty slim that you will buy one with WIN98SE loaded, but not impossible - keep in mind you can buy a real 98 disk for about $65 on the web to load into laptop if unable to purchase one with 98 loaded. Would suggest trying XP first, though. If you set it to classic setting, hard to tell from WIN98. Older hardware peripherals may not work in XP only draw back.

Best of luck in your search. Whatever you buy will be obsolete soon thereafter.

EDIT: Whoa, recommendations from one ex-Texan and two current Texans - best wait for additional replies!:D

5. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, I guess Texas was in a computing mood :D

I'm going to check some of those mentioned and still get more opinions (hopefully)

PaveFE

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I like the new IBM T-30, but get the 512 MB RAM upgrade (comes with 256MB RAM) It's only about $80.00 more, but well worth it.

I also recommend 2 port replicators. I have one set up for office then home. I never have to open the cover. I just plug it in and use my standard keyboard, monitor and mouse.

=)

7. tomlunt

tomlunt

PaveFE -

I'm partial to dell. good reliability, good products. They make some nice laptops with 15" screens, although i travel a lot and opted for a 3.5lb Dell latitude c400 with Win2000 (12" screen").

if you have a cable modem or dsl at home, a wireless network is very nice. in fact, one of dell's current promotions includes a wireless router and network card right now (on the small business side, not home office).

good luck.

TL

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

I also like Dell primarily for reliability. I also like the IBM Thinkpads. But if you yourself like and trust Dell, that is a good choice.

As for OS, I agree with you that Win2000 is better than XP, but don't get 98--if the choice is between 98 and XP, your better off with XP. But out of the 3, 2000 is the best choice (I say this even though I have XP on my laptop!!! ;). But I do have Win2000 at home on two computers. I got XP on my laptop to try it out. Its atually not that bad--much better than 98 but not as good as Win2000. Then again, this is just my personal experience, but 98 crashes too damn much.

9. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Just a quick thanks to all, I haven't made up my mind yet and probably won't for a while. I like Dell, but their customer service has gone to hell. They are pretty reliable though.

I'm going to keep shopping on the one's everyone has mentioned here.

And I am also in favor of Win2000, I'll never get XP

10. marioh

marioh

The company I work for purchases from two vendors, Dell and Compaq.
    We have purchased laptops and desktops from both companies.

By far and away, Dell has the better PC's, both with laptops and desktops. I have seen some major issues on the Dell Latitutude C610 and 640's laptops, but they seem to have been resolved on the newer Dell Latitutude laptops models (the one I've seen is the C810).
    Dell's are easy to re-configure if you don't like the OS and or apps that they put on them. I'd highly recommend that you load your own OS and avoid putting the Dell utilities unto the laptop (of course, make sure you load all the required drivers for maximum performance). The pre-installed OS and software that Dell ships out on their desktops and laptops lose anywhere from 3%-7% performance when it is performance tested against that same PC, but with a clean build of the OS and proper driver installation.

I'd also recommend setting up the Intel Speed Step applet to be on Maximum Performance when the laptop is plugged in (to power). By default (the last time I checked), Dell shipped out the laptops with Speed Step setup to be Automatic when plugged in. The Automatic setting didn't seem to work properly as the laptop didn't run at full speed (processor wise, e.g. 1.8Ghz instead of 2.0Ghz) when plugged in. And just in case you don't know what Speed Step is, it's an Intel utility which drops down the processor speed in order to conserve battery life. So if you have a 2.0Ghz Intel processor, the chip would only run at 1.8Ghz in order to conserve battery life when the laptop isn't plugged in.

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

Marioh, where to you access that Speed Step Applet?

12. marioh

marioh

It's an icon in the system tray (i don't have a laptop in front of me right now, so I can't tell you what it looks like right now).

If it's not there, then check Add/Remove Programs to verify that it was installed. If it was, and it's not on the system tray, I believe you should be able to access it via the Control Panel.

I've seen the Intel SpeedStep pre-loaded on both Compaq and Dell laptops, but it has to be an Intel based processor and one that supports the SpeedStep technology. I believe mobile Pentium III's and above support SpeedStep, but I may be wrong on that.

13. marioh

marioh

Mulder,
    I just checked and the icon in the system tray looks like a flag. The flag will look differently when it's in "step" mode and when it's running at full speed (plugged in).
    And when it is installed, it will have an entry in Add/Remove Programs under Intel SpeedStep technology applet or something to that effect.

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, I don't have that installed, so it must be some optional program that may come on some Dells. I don't see anything in Control Panel on it either.

15. marioh

marioh

Then it's not installed on your laptop.
    Your OS install on the laptop, is it OEM or did you install your own OS ?

As I said, I'm not sure which Intel chips actually support it. I do know that mobile Pentium III's and IV's should support it (i'm not sure with Celerons or any other Intel based chip that I didn't specify).

Here's a whitepaper from Intel which basically explains SpeedStep.

For PIII
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentiumiii/ss.htm
    For PIV
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentium4/tti002.htm

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice