1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for PDA compatible with Vista 64

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by momtodogs, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtodogs

momtodogs Thread Starter

I just bought a HP TouchSmart 64-bit computer, running Vista Home Premium 64.

My old computer had Windows XP and I have discovered that my Palm Tungsten E is not compatible with the 64-bit format, and it doesn't look like Palm is going to step up to the plate with new drivers.

Soooo..... I am shopping for a new PDA. I don't want a smartphone. Tried a couple, and didn't like them, and didn't need the internet access 'to go'. I use Microsoft Office 2007, so the PDA needs to be able to sync with Outlook 2007 (contacts and calendar), and download Word documents.

Can anyone recommend a PDA for me? I might need to go back a couple of generations (after paying for my new PC) and look at a used one, so please specify which models will work for me. I don't use the 'graffiti' method of data input, so a PDA with a QWERTY keyboard (provided it is small enough to put in my purse/tote) or stylus would work for me.

Thanks so much (in advance) for your help.

-momtodogs

2. dannyn

dannyn

I know that you do not want a smart phone, but the pda market seems to be slowing down as the smart phone market keeps growing. I would go to some stores where they have working smartphone models and just play with them.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Reading the Palm Forums it seems to be hit and miss even with the TX on 64bit Vista. I know the 32 bit works just fine. Reading the palm forums some people say they have no problems with the 64 bit, but others have said they can get it to sync over BlueTooth or IR on their Tungstens. Others have gotten their Palm TX's to hotsync over the Wireless connection.

You could always try and find a Windows Mobile PDA. I would bet there is better support for that.

4. momtodogs

momtodogs Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the quick response.

The Palm site update 'supposedly' for 64-bit, doesn't work. I tried it. Wouldn't install.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/windowsvista/
    As of today:'At this time, Palm Desktop 6.2 (for Palm OS devices) does not support 64-bit editions of Windows Vista. Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Mobile devices) supports 64-bit editions of Windows Vista.' Unfortunately the TE is an OS device, not a Windows Mobile Device.

I have seen several entries on forums about work-arounds for Tungsten E2's and newer; however, the Tungsten E is not bluetooth capable (and has no aftermarket device that will make it so.) This only became possible with the E2. The wi-fi card adapter won't work with the E's OS, and although Enfora makes a wi-fi sled adapter, it is only for the Treo.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/m...nd_wifi&message.id=9570&query.id=148496#M9570

I am reconsidering the smart phone idea. In fact I was just looking online at the Verizon Wireless SMT5800, which looks pretty straightforward. My last contract expired last December, and I have been waiting to upgrade my phone until I saw something I really liked. I tried the Blackberry and the Moto-Q9 in January, but didn't like them. Everytime the phone rang, I would stare like a deer caught in the headlights, trying to figure out which button, or sequence of, to push ..... then it would rollover to VM. I just couldn't handle the pressure, LOL, so I returned them and went back to my faithful Motorola E815 and Tungsten E.

I just got a response from another forum on a possible work-around for the TE. What do you think? He talks about the Treo in his article, but indicates it would work for the TE. He said, in his message to me, that he has 5 Palms and keeps them all going. It uses IRDA sync. http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=windows_hotsync&message.id=23632

As for switching to a Windows Mobile PDA, that was the purpose of my original question. If I do that, which one is the best choice for me. I would probably not be able to afford a new one, so need to know how far back in generations I can go and still work with Vista 64.

Oh, damn.... here comes that pressure again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice