1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redzonedew, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redzonedew

redzonedew Thread Starter

Hi. I have a Dell XPS T450 with a 13.6G hard drive and 256 ram.
    I am looking to purchase an additional internal hard drive to use as data storage (not sure that I want to go through the trouble of reformatting and reinstalling everything), additional memory and a wireless router. So I have these questions:

Hard Drives:
    1. How large of a HD should I invest in?
    2. How do I know what to get i.e. interface, rotational speed and of course manufacturer?

Memory:
    1. Size, Speed, Technology, and manuf.?

Router:
    1. Can I use wireless for my laptop with wireless card and desktop without?
    2. Recommended manuf. (Netgear??)

I realize there are alot of questions but I would appreciate any feedback as I am clueless in regards to these details.

Thanks!!! :eek:

2. redzonedew

Are these inappropriate questions for the site? I have had no bites on this thread. :(

3. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

you could start by saying what system all components, windows version any service packs ETC. other wise we will be advising you blindly.

4. brite750

brite750

just some general answers, for data storage i would just get a standard hdd, like a mator 7200rpm with 2 or 8mb cashe, size?, your choice really, what os are you running?, if 98, you may have to get a controller card to run large drives, or partition it into several smaller chunks.
    if you get a wireless router, you can hard wire to std nic on desktop and run laptop from wireless nic., netgear or linksys are fine.

5. redzonedew

OK sorry I didn't know how much detail was needed. Here is what I could gather. Let me know how to figure out any others that are necessary.

Thanks again

CPU: Intel Pentium III 448mhz
    HDD: Not sure how to figure out
    RAM: 256MB (Slot 1: ? original from Dell 128MB)(Slot 2: ? 128MB)
    Mobo: Not sure how to figure out
    Graphic Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT (Not sure if this is correct???)
    Moniter: Dell P990 15"
    Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 1
    Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202
    Sony CD-RW CRX 100E

6. brite750

brite750

If you go to a site called majorgeeks you can d/l a program called aida32, this program will tell you all about your system. You are just making the minimum requirements for a wireless router with the pentIII but since that pc will be harewired to router you should be fine. what are the specs for the laptop it will have to be pentIII or better to run wireless nic.

7. brite750

brite750

If you double click on My Computer on desktop you should get the size of your C: drive listed

8. redzonedew

Ironically I had Aida32 on a disk given to me by one of our IT people at work I just hadn't used it. It is great! Tons of info.

Yes my laptop is a Pentium 4. It is a work computer and to it is wireless ready. So I assume I am OK on that front.

Now the "hard wiring" is this intuitive once I have the product or should I inquire further?

Also I went to a site to buy additional memory and it said it didnt carry the product necessary for a Dell Dimension T450. I thought buying memory was fairly generic???
    CPU: Intel Pentium III 450mhz
    HDD: IBM-DJNA - 371350 (13G, 7200RPM, ULTRA-ATA66)
    RAM: 256MB (Slot 1: ? original from Dell 128MB)(Slot 2: ? 128MB)
    Mobo: Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2 (Hitachi)
    Graphic Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT 16MB
    Moniter: Dell P990 15"
    Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 1
    Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202
    Sony CD-RW CRX 100E

9. redzonedew

Mobo: Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2 (Hitachi) (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1AGP, 3 DIMM)

10. brite750

brite750

It looks like you will need a network interface card NIC these are available as a PCI card this will go into a pci slot on your mobo, hope you have one open. you open your case plug them in start pc, your pc will ask for drivers, you point it to driver disk that comes with card, and away you go. I would recommend Netgear FA311 10/100 Mbps fast ethernet, when it asked for drivers make sure you poit it to the FA311 folder there are other folders on disk for other models.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice