1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for software for file recovery after system restore

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dutra, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dutra

dutra Thread Starter

Hi there
    So.. yesterday my ASUS laptop crashed for no reason and everytime I turn it on again it would bring me to an ASUS preload wizzard screen. So I had no choice but to go through this system restore (probably some malware caused this). I managed to save my D:/ drive but C:/ got completely wiped out and the laptop is back to factory settings. The laptop seens to be working fine but I lost all my personal files including photos, videos, musics, business files, etc. I tried Asoftech but it didnt help much. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Thank you

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's a list of free data recovery programs: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm

Try a couple and see if they can get something back. Chances of getting everything back are zero. Once you run a recovery on a system it overwrites files on the drive and makes getting back those overwritten files impossible, your only hope is that the files you want have not been overwritten yet by new files. This means you should use the system as little as possible until data recovery.

Also, you seem to have run System Recovery not System Restore which is a Windows features that onyl restores the system to a previous date rather then to the original factory state.

Also, in the future if this happens you should not run the factory recovery until you recover the data or have someone recover the data from the non-booting system.

Additionally the tech world says this all the time but you MUST have backups of data you don't want to lose. If you don't bother to make backups then you will lose it.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You can try one of the free recovery programs that Rob linked you to, but I agree with him that you can pretty much kiss your personal data good-bye forever.

That's why it's important to back up personal data on a regular basis and not wait until there's a problem with your computer.

I've read some "horror stories" here from people who lost months or years of personal data because they never backed it up and never expected to have a problem with their computer.

------------------------------------------------------

4. vembutech

vembutech Banned

Hi,

I would recommend EaseUS.. Its a free data recovery software that can recover/retrieve lost data or files efficiently.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice