1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for software that forces me to work for my computer access

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Amoeba, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amoeba

Amoeba Thread Starter

Hi,

I have dyscalculia but I have always wanted to be good at maths, especially increase my working memory and problem solving skills. However I also have serious problems with motivation as I find maths quite scary. I am looking for a piece of software that, each time I try to manually open a game or document on my computer, will prevent me from doing so until I can complete a mathematical problem, with adjustable difficulty. I would also like to be able to configure what types of questions I'll be given so that I can choose the types of problems I have studied for, and not the ones I won't have a clue about.

I seriously doubt that such a piece of software exists and I imagine the only way to make it happen is to write it myself. Problem: I find programming incomprehensible. Even having the basics of C++ taught to me in the most dumbed down way, and persisting for many nights over many weeks, I was making no progress at all. I still feel no wiser about what programming even is.

Does anybody know how to help me? If what I'm looking for doesn't exist, is there something like it?

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I would bet there are programs such as what you want. If you think about it, what you're looking for is basically the same thing as a video game - solve a problem or take a specific action and you advance to the next level. As much as computers are used in schools now, I suspect there are many such programs to teach math (and other things) to kids.

3. Amoeba

Amoeba Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not really what I was thinking of.

I'm thinking of something that actually forces me to do maths problems for my computer access. Say, for example, I want to open a word document I've been working on. This program installed on my computer would kick in with a popup with a maths problem, and would not allow me to access that file until I can input the correct answer, and it does that for any file or folder I manually try to access.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice