1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for some suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ehdison, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ehdison

Ehdison Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a DVD burner with CD burning possibility and wondering which brand is good and at the same time not that expensive something for not more than 150 canadian dollars. I won't mind an OEM. If someone who is already using can enlight me on this would be great. I checked LG and LITE-ON seems cheap (for 105 canadian dollars) but wonder whether they will cause errors.

Thanks,

Ehdison

2. scmazter

scmazter

Well, something that burns DVDs isnt cheap.
    The sony DRU510A DVD +/- R/RW is the best as far as I know, it costs about $200 US.

Just because something is cheap, doesnt mean it's low quality.
    Infact, if you wish to backup games, LITE-ON and LG, are just about the only burners that can backup games with SafeDisc on them, due to a special capability.

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

I have an LG Electronics Super Multi DVD-RW / CD-RW Drive Burner, and I have had no problems what so ever with it, I had it from E.Buyer, and although I live in the UK there is an American site as well, so you could possibly get it delivered, the same model on there is $122.96. The address in case you dont have it is http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/gateway/ just choose USA and browse through the categories.

Hope it helps

Gus

4. catlady13

catlady13

HI I also bought an LG DVD burner and I have had very good results with it thus far and have backed up a lot of my dvd movies with great success. I have only tried DVD -R so far but they work on my DVD stand alone player with my tv. By the way it is legal in Canada to back up your own media.
    PS mine cost $139 Canadian

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

I have a Liteon 4X +/-R +/-RW DVD burner that came packaged as a Buslink, I use it almost daily without problems. It cost me $99 US the end of last year.

6. supperonion

supperonion

Hey, wait little longer, SONY has new DVD burner coming out, it is double layer burner which able to burn double size of the DVD about to do now. just wait it will coming out soon.

7. Ehdison

Ehdison Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I know it sounds a bit odd since I haven't got my DVD burner but I know that there are + and - modes and the new burners will do both. My question is that whether it's a + or - can all dvd players will play the dvd. I have a panasonic dvd player bought at the end of 2002 and wondering whether it will support the + or - mode. If those players support only one mode then how to find out that and how to get around this when we burn dvds.

After reading all of your comments, I'm planning to get LITE-ON or LG brand next week. Since I don't have the dvd burner now I can't ask too many questions but once I tried couple of times and if there any issues I'll ask you people.

Thanks again for ALWAYS quick follow ups.

8. scmazter

scmazter

Hey.
    The - and + are different formats. It's very stupid and crap, and the two can't be made compadible with each other.

9. tsunam

tsunam

Basically the best bet is to go with the - brand if you want to play it in a standard dvd player, some will play the plus but for the most part all will play -. Thats the safe thing.

As far as the Formats go, the reason we have the two formats is because companies like sony, panasonic etc couldn't all decide on one format, so Sony and a few went with one format, and Panasonic and some others went with the other.

Its kind of the same issue with what will be the next format for dvd. Blue ray or something along the lines of dual layer with a much smaller bandwidth to the actual writing laser. What we really need to do is just stick all these companies into a room for like 2 weeks and tell them they arn't coming out til they decide universally on one format.

10. Deathblow

Deathblow

For more information, here is a link that shows which standard dvd players work with which formats. You can also find more info about the different formats here as well.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

11. cjthib

cjthib

I work for a state run... geriatric/psychiatric nursing home and am looking to purchase a unit that will copy residents vhs movies unto a dvd. I would also like this unit to copy other dvd's (movies) unto a dvd because we have 4 lounge areas with dvd machines. Now the hard part is what the heck kind of machine am I looking for? :confused: Any help would be greatfully appreciated...

12. Deathblow

Deathblow

They make stand alone units that you can use to copy VCR to DVD without a Computer. However, I don't think you could do DVD to DVD with those. You would need another unit, or a computer for that.

13. cjthib

cjthib

Thanks Deathblow...I was really not sure what to look for on the internet. I appreciate your time and answer........cjthib

14. zeddy

zeddy

does that not break copyright rules?

15. cjthib

cjthib

Zeddy...I was told that if it was not for public (community) use and I was not charging people to see it that is was all right to do. This is a non-profit Nursing Home and they already own one DVD.......I would be copying it for another unit in the same home......but if I was told wrong please let me know.....cjthib

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice