1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking For System Backup / Imaging Software Recommendations (Vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by michaeltee, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michaeltee

michaeltee Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a new Vista x64 (64 bit) machine and I'm looking for recommendations for a good backup/imaging program that I can use to boot and restore my system. I don't need anything with a lot of whistles and bells. Something that's easy to use and dependable would be ideal. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

TIA,
    -Mike

2. Oily

Oily

Try Acronis True Image....best software for making image of drives i have found.

3. jdean

jdean

Casper XP is simple and easy to use. It does imaging and it does it well. I haven't tried the Win64 version but I've been pleased with the Win32 version.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I tried Acronis, but it would not work with my SATA and USB scenario. You should try it though, it is purportedly reliable. I went with Paragon Drive Backup, which does restore. I am running V8.51, an V9 is now out, as well as a freebie version that I have not tried.

Whatever you do end up using, be certain to test the restore. Unless you can restore, your backups are write-only data.

5. jdean

jdean

I would have also recommended Acronis TrueImage but didn't for two reasons:
    1 - it does a zillion different things and is more confusing than it should be
    2 - based on the Acronis Web site, it doesn't sound like TrueImage runs on 64 bit Vista (I could be wrong about this)

Other than that, it's a good program (I use it as well as Casper XP) and can be had at a bargain price if you download it from a (legitimate) vendor like NewEgg.

6. jdean

jdean

TrueImage works fine for my SATA and USB drives. I'm using version 10; are you using an older version?

7. michaeltee

michaeltee Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the suggestions! Several years ago I used Acronis on my XP machine. Definitely a solid app but I found it to be a bit over-complicated. When the need for a system restore rears it's ugly head I tend to panic.For me, "simple" is better for utilities of this type. I went with Casper and will be testing it as soon as my first backup finishes.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I am not using ATI at all anymore, since it would not restore for me. I tried ATI 11. No need to figure out why as I am using PDB now successfully.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice