1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for tips on how to troubleshoot a crash

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by larrycleve, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larrycleve

larrycleve Thread Starter

I have norton ghost 12 that crashes when starting a backup. The crash is so severe it takes winxp with it. The only way to get out is by using the power button. The program starts and runs fine up to that point. I haven't seen others having this problem. It does it when using usb or firewire external drives or to another partition on the hard drive. So I don't think it's a hardware issue. All other programs are turned off and a virus scan shows nothing. Is there a diagnostic program that can record what happens prior and up to the crash and then give an analysis? Is there a way to analyze this crash in a virtual environment so xp keeps running? Is there software that can diagnose outside of windows? I tried other companies' backup software but their boot disks use linux that doesn't see my firewire drive. Thanks.

2. larrycleve

I checked the event viewer at the times of the crash. It mentioned com+, vss, and dtc as well as vprotray.exe. All the services are on automatic and running. Vprotray.exe is the ghost tray icon. I don't know what to do with this info.

3. larrycleve

Here's some screenshots of the error messages from event viewer.

Attached Files:

4. larrycleve

Just found a product that works fabulously, Farstone's Drive Clone 3 Pro. It does what ghost 12 does without a few of the bells and whistles. It costs only $25. I installed it on the problem computer and it made a backup first time straight through. This obviously shows the problem was with ghost 12 and not my computer. I wondered why I could be the only one with this problem. Now I think there had to be others who just returned the product and didn't post about it. Keep an eye out for a patch. Knowing Symantec though, they'll probably issue ghost 13 and charge for it. :)

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

"This obviously shows the problem was with ghost 12 and not my computer"

The proof will be when you actually restore this copy.

Farstone's product may not be as sensitive as Ghost and has just ignored whatever error it was seeing.

6. RevWLJ

RevWLJ

I'm experiencing the same problem as larrycleve. I clean C drive, defrag, nothing running except Ghost 12, and somewhere midway through the process of backing up, the computer shuts down. Haven't tried shutting down virus and malware engines, though. I don't want to jump ship unless I have to. Any suggestions?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!