1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for Windows Home Server-like network backup solution with bare-metal restore.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by imekul, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

I have been using WHS for the past week or so, and I really love its potential. The problem I'm having with it at the moment is that certain computers' backups seem to fail inexplicably, and so far I haven't been able to figure out why. If I can, I'd love to stay with WHS.

If I can't get WHS to work reliably, then I'm looking for a good alternative backup solution for my ~10 Windows computers. Here's what I would like:

* Management from one central location. I love how I can install the Windows Home Server Console on each client computer, and then I can manage all of the backups from one place. It's much easier than running around to each computer to configure the backups.

* Single-instance storage or deduplication. A huge potential HDD space saver, when you have a lot of wasted space with two computers backing up the exact same file.

* Bare-metal restore. Again, I love how WHS makes it easy to restore using a boot CD and a network connection. That way, in the event of a client hard drive dying, I just pop a new drive into the computer, reload the image, and we're back to normal without having to worry about reinstalling Windows, software, drivers, et cetera.

* Price! WHS is a steal at roughly $100 with support for up to 10 computers. Seems many client-server backup programs can easily cost $400 or $500, and that's a little steep for me at the moment.

I would prefer to run Windows on the server, but if the best solution was something with a server running Linux, I would be willing to do that.

Any suggestions?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You're asking a whole lot with your budget from a backup solution.

3. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

Yeah, I realize that...

That makes me really want to make it work with WHS! I am very impressed with it, especially with its low price.

Hopefully I can work through its issues. If not, though, I guess I'm trying to find out the best alternative. I would imagine it would cost more than $100, but I don't know if the cheapest solution would be a $400 or $500 client/server backup program.

4. ESPoker19

ESPoker19

Learn Linux and try Ubuntu Server, Xubuntu, FreeBSD or something like that using Samba as a file transfer medium, or WINE. The best part it that its free!

5. imekul

imekul Thread Starter

What kind of software would you recommend with a Linux server and Windows client?

6. ESPoker19

ESPoker19

Any linux based server can run SAMBA, which is a client that allows communication between windows / linux systems. A personal favorite of mine is Ubuntu Server, which in itself is just a command line interface. Very low overhead, and plenty of public support for additional addons such as SSH tunneling, FTP, DNS, Mail server, Print server, pretty much anything you want to create can be done. Not sure if you've dealt with linux before but it requires patience and diligence, and there are some security concerns, but with enough knowledge,a linux system is pretty reliable, and like I said, FREE! There are millions of websites / wiki's on how to setup the basics, but for complex stuff you'll probably need a book or course.. you should check it out, a lot of people give up and shell out hundreds of dollars for a modified server kernel that someone programmed using linux!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice