1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for wireless solution, helps hints

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marcan, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

Hi there,

Basically i want to know the best solution to allow me to go wireless to access the web.

. My PC has no wireless cards or anything.

. My laptop can connect to wireless networks.

. I want my Laptop to gain access to a wireless router/ modem attached to the PC (wich i dont want to be wireless) to allow web surfing.

What equipment or all in one solution to this problem might do the job. I also need router/ modem to be able to connect to my Playstation2 wich again is not wireless.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thankyou

Mark.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Any wireless router should fit your needs. All wireless routers I know have 4 hardwired ports so this fits your PS/2 and PC requirements and of course have wireless that supports your wireless requirements.

Do you want this to be just a router or a router modem combo? Do you already have a modem? Also is this DSL or Cablemodem?

3. danmcman

danmcman

marcan,

I think the best solution here would be to purchase a wireless access point, such as the Linksys WRT54G - link here.

Run a cable from your broadband modem/router to the Linksys WAP, configure it to some basic security, and you should be set to get wireless on the laptop. You can run more cable from your PC to the new linksys to get a lan connection to the internet.

Cheers,

Dan

4. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

Yes i want it to be a fouter and modem combined I think. I currently use a BTVoyager205 wich has an extra port to accommodate the Laptop at the moment. Thankyou.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

6. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

Thanks for help. I am going to try and stay clear of D-Link though. I spent £60 in the past for a D-Link 5040t wired 4 port router only to find it could not handle my Playststion2.

Would this work? Is there a USB wireless dongle i could use on the PC to allow Laptop to connect and still use my existing BT Voyager 205 modem/router?

Thanks.

7. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice