1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Looking to add VPN to my router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Photopilot, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

I have paid for the VPN service from Private Internet Access. I use it on my laptop when I feel it is needed. However i am setting up some security cameras and in order to use the cloud service without leaving my laptop running 24/7 I need to make some changes.

One option is to setup my router to be using VPN. My router is an ASUS AC RT3200.

My concern is I need to install a 3rd party firmware. Would I still have all the functionality to the features I am used to like using a USB based hardrive for storage via WIFI? What are the risks or what do I lose when installing a 3rd party firmware?

Sometimes when using the VPN, I am unable to reach certain websites. Will this be a problem if I have my router channeling through a VPN?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why do you need to have the camera's running through the VPN?

3. Photopilot

I am trying to record alarm events onto something. Right now the video is being recorded onto an SD card in the camera. It is working alright. The FTN client I am using downloads the video smoothly but, the interface to watch the video on the card is really clunky (slow moving and freezes up.) I have purchased a program called Xeoma that has what appears to be a better designed software. I have a free month trial of their cloud service which seems very reasonably priced and would hopefully mesh with their excellent software.

I would like to figure out how to configure the camera so i can test out the service before it expires. One of my goals is for it to download to the cloud storage without needing my computer to be on. In order to use the service I need to make some configuration changes. One option is to add a VPN to my router. Here are the instructions.
    https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/articles/vpn-server-vpn-client-in-surveillance/.

There are other options as well I believe. Assigning the camera a "Real IP address" is an option. I am not sure if they mean getting a static IP address for the cameras.

If someone could tell me how to get a "Real IP address" for my camera(s), I am willing to try that route a well. The one issue I am having is the company is London based and I only have an hour or two each day when they are at work and I am awake. If I can get an VPN setup on my router or a Real IP address set up tomorrow, hopefully I can get the cloud server working.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First, the service you bought is a proxy service. These services are perverting the use of VPN to market it to people as some sort of security feature for surfing the Internet.

Because of this, people are constantly misusing the term VPN. If your router does not have VPN capability either natively or through some sort of software hack/upgrade, then you have to buy a router with this capability. Setting up a VPN can get very involved and requires some knowledge of networking. Some VPNs can work without a client needed to be installed on your PC for remote access, some require a client to be installed. I run a SSL VPN on my home network to gain secure access to my network from anywhere remote.

Photopilot likes this.
  5. Photopilot

I contacted the VPN or proxy service provider I use. They said using the VPN on my router is possible but would slow down all my access speed by 60-80%. Ain't nobody got time for that. My provider is really fast and don't want to give up any of that speed.

So I will try and work around this another way. I just checked with my ISP and they do not offer static IP addresses to residential customers. Would a Dynamic DNS allow my camera to get connected to cloud storage?

What does the proxy service offer not offer that a VPN will? I started my proxy service when I was traveling to Mexico for work. It is nice to have my searches returned in English when I am overseas.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I briefly looked at that software. You can run the software on a computer that connects to the cameras and stores the video, you can connect to this computer or their software using several different methods that they outline in their documents, one is using their Repeater: https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/articles/repeater/

Or you can use their cloud service with or without a computer and the software, the describe how to set it up here: https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/articles/xeoma-cloud-manual/
    It has a pure cloud feature though that says all you need is a camera and internet.

You could setup a OpenVPN server on your router an use a DDNS service to access it even if you IP changes, it's not required though as the software or cloud service can handle that access for you though. Don't confuse OpenVPN with PIA, they are two different services. Also running an OpenVPN server will not slow down your internet unlike using PIA. You would need to install the OpenVPN client on any device you wish to use to access your home network as well.

Use PIA for browsing, nothing else, it's irrelevant to accessing your cameras and will only hamper the setup.

7. Photopilot

Thanks Triple6, I have already tried the techniques listed on their support page you posted. I got then and now an FTP Server error. I have sent some screen shots to their technical support.

I have also looked at the repeater feature. It seems complicated also requiring port forwarding. I don't need to access the files remotely I just want to be able to save the video to a cloud server without having my computer on. I want to be able to view the images and download the ones I want to keep to my computer.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then you only need to look at the Cloud service and not the rest, a lot of this is only required for remote access.

9. Photopilot

With that in mind, which of the options for cloud connect do you recommend?

I have tried the method here.
    https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/articles/xeoma-cloud-manual/
    But get an error when setting up the FTP settings on my camera's settings. I have tried the companies technical support but still waiting to get back to me from last week.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    From your link:

Option 2. Computer -> Cloud

Easy way

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice