1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to buy a gaming laptop (specs inside!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rypken, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rypken

Rypken Thread Starter

I'm in the Navy and getting ready to go on a ship...so you can imagine how that goes. I want a good gaming laptop to use in my time off to keep me busy. I would like to play Oblivion(single-player, time killer) and I can get into FPS and RTS games especially if there are others involved in the action too. So keep that in mind when you're looking at this. I've never been much of a big-time pc gamer so I'm not exactly up to par on graphics card standards and such.

But here is what I'm looking at right now. Toshiba is having a sale (20% off) on select customized laptops until May 1st. So they quote this system at a retail of 2000 some dollars but since there is a sale its only $1623.00

Toshiba Satellite P300-ST3014

CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz, 6MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 32-Bit
    Memory: 4096MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)
    LCD: 17.0" Diagonal Widescreen WXGA+ TruBrite® display (1440x900)
    Graphics Controller: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB DDR2 discrete memory
    + up to 255MB allocated shared graphics memory
    HDD: 120GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)
    Optical Media: DVD SuperMulti (DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive
    Mini-PCI/WiFi: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN (802.11a/g/n)
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth® Version 2.1 +EDR
    Battery: Lithium Ion battery (6-Cell, 4000mAh)

All this for $1623.00

So is this a good deal? Is there a better option out there for close to the same price range? Will I be able to play some high end games such as Oblivion... I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks

2. iwassnow

iwassnow

Well for starters, IMHO that is not a bad deal as far as the specs go if you plan to make use of it for a long time. I have no idea about Toshiba's laptop quality to tell you of, though.
    To get your own opinion, I suggest comparing the specs and prices to other leading laptop manufacturers.
    Your best bet for quality is definitely Alienware, though I cannot guaruntee your price being comparable as you can custom build your laptop right on their website and easily double or triple the starting price of (was)1400$. However they specifically make gaming laptops and I THINK it comes with at least a year of warantee.
    Dell, who owns Alienware, also makes laptops, but they aren't aimed at the gamer and can be more costly(sometimes). Maybe worth looking, however my belowmentioned friend had a really bad one and it seemed lower quality to me than I expected.
    My friend has an HP laptop, and while I yell at people who buy HP desktops, their laptops seem to be of much higher quality and the downside is OEM software.

Beyond those, I cannot speak for the quality of any other company as I have no knowlege, 1st or 2nd hand, in regards to them.

What you definitely want to do above anything else is make sure that the laptop you buy is capable of running the games you wish to play. Most of those games will provide the information for minimum(and recommended) specs on their website somewhere, and you can compare that to the specs of the computers you look at. You ussually want to meet and if possible exceed the recommended specs.
    If you have any questions about the sometimes generalized stuff a specific game lists or converting from one standard to another(eg ATI vs GeForce), I'm sure someone here would be glad to help you, including me if I am still around when you reply. If not you can email me at [email protected](I'm gonna change it in my profile in a minute) but I can't garuntee that I will respond quickly as I don't check it alot anymore. :(

I hope I was of help here, and good luck!

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally, I think Dell have only kept the Alienware name to make money out of it. You can get comparable laptops for less from quite a few manufacturers now. Dells own XPS range are (or were last time I looked at them) comparable in specs to the Alienware branded machines but were a little cheaper.

A lot more companies are producing machines that are more capable in the gaming arena (they will never truly compare to a desktop though, in my opinion, but thats obviously not an option for the OP).

Should also say, as has been said already, that doesn't look like too bad a spec for the price. Its always worth having a good shop around before you commit though. You never know what deal you might come across.

4. Rypken

Rypken Thread Starter

I've been shopping around ALOT since I've found this deal. And I can't really find anything that compares much better to this or varies enough to make me want to spend more. My main concern with this system posted aboved is the video card and how it will be able to handle games. I mentioned The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion cause its a game that interests me and I know it has some pretty hefty requirements (3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor; ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card)

I was looking at this system just a second agohttp://shop4.outpost.com/product/5551890
    it seems comparable and for video it has Nvidia SLi Dual GeForce 8600M GT,512MB GDDR3 discrete Grahics memory,plus up to 255MB dynamically allocated shared grahic memory using Nvidia Turbo-cache Technology.

I guess I'm not sure exactly which card is better. They look equivalent but Nvidia uses different terminology and I get confused and worried that I'm getting ripped off on one end.

5. Rypken

Rypken Thread Starter

6. iwassnow

iwassnow

Asus is owned by AMD, as is ATI. I have an asus board in my custom tower, as well as an AMD chip and an ati graphics card. Some of the best quality I've ever seen. :cool:

7. Rypken

Rypken Thread Starter

Do you think that Asus system is a better option, as far as performance/gaming, than the Toshiba?

8. iwassnow

iwassnow

I think ASUS is better aas far as quality goes. As for performance and gaming. That will almost entirely depend on the actual statistics of the machine and whether or not the meet the recommended system specs of the games you wish to play. As for playing oblivion on either of those, I don't know because I play it on my PS3. :cool:

Compare the came recommended to the systems you window-shop for, and make sure it meets and preferably exceeds all those specs. The voice of experience tells me never get the minimum specs if you're looking to play a game. It is a ussually a poor comparison to real home systems as it does not take into account anything except the Operating system and as far as I know, nothing else.

Best to try to shoot 10-20% over the game recommended for best performance. That applies mostly to these peices of hardware:
    CPU
    RAM
    Graphics Card capabilities
    Hard Disk space (ussually not a problem anymore...)
    CD/DVD drive speed (almost never a problem anymore...)

9. DocJammer

DocJammer

One BIG difference is that the Toshiba has a 17" screen compared to a 15.4" on the Asus. I have a 17" screen laptop, I'm spoiled now couldn't go smaller again.

10. iwassnow

iwassnow

Well your personal preferences should ALWAYS be considered when buying something like that. ;)

No sense spending money on something you don't like. :p

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice