1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to learn to program?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by james221, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Hi there, i want to start programming, with the basics. I am planning to do Computer science at Uni next year, but i dont want to do it without any programming experience. So, where do i start? Some say its good to start with java, what are your opinions?

Thanks.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    What level of experience do you have already?

3. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Not much, used to play around with python, but that was a while ago so treat me like a complete beginner :)

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    If you have access to and familiarity with Python, that would be a great place to start.
    In fact it's the first language a lot of universities teach, even up to MIT.

My suggestion is that you set yourself a simple project, break it down, and try to find out how to solve each little problem.
    If you get stuck or can't work something out, feel free to ask for help.

5. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Any suggestions for a " simple project "? Thanks for help so far.

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    That's really something you'd need to decide for yourself, since things you find interesting will be far better motivators.
    Nearly everyone suggests getting it to print out "Hello World", just to check you have the compiler set up correctly.
    Simple text based games are fairly easy; things like "Guess the number.", to get the basics of I/O and conditionals.
    From there, it really is up to you to decide what's interesting. If you're already familiar with web design, you could make a little program designed to run off a web server and do interesting stuff. Otherwise, you could have a quick google for one of the various coding challenge sites. Best is to decide on something you'd want to use, and make it.

7. NileshTalaviya

NileshTalaviya

I also prefer you to start with java because there are lots of advantages from it and the main benefits is that you can Write once time code and it run anywhere.

8. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Although that is an advantage of Java, I wouldn't be too worried about it if you're just starting. You're unlikely to be writing anything that you're publishing very widely.

Languages all have their strong points and their weak points. Once you understand the principles of programming and want to make something new, it is fairly easy to learn a language that's better suited to that purpose.

9. NileshTalaviya

NileshTalaviya

totally agree, that's point does matter when learning new languages...

10. ETech7

ETech7

As to beginning with Python, there is a lot of printed and on-line material which takes that Project Approach, thus through the course/book you build something an author offers. So that maybe another great way to introduce your self to programming and not get discouraged by trying to build something inappropriate for your current level of expertise .

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice