Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking to make Website

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Blue2 
#1 ·
I am looking to create a website where a teacher friend of mine can upload transcription files in India and I can download them here in the States. If anyone knows of a good free website builder that I can use that will offer these features please let me know. Thanks in advance
rayrocky7 :)

#3 ·
I am not a technical person when it comes to computers. What is an FTP server? I don't know HTML either so the website that I want to create should be where I can just put things together. Is there a website builder outthere where I can have someone upload a file to where I can download the file? Thanks.
rayrocky7

#4 ·
An FTP server is just what you described, a repository for your files..you can drop off or pick up.

Example: I have a pc with cable internet. I installed ftp server software on it, then in that software detailed which folders to open up to the internet and who is allowed to access them (via logon and password).

I then gave the site address, her logon and password to my sister. She uses Bulletproof FTP software on her pc. She opens it up, types in the address I gave her as well as her logon and pass. In the Bulletproof software, she now is able to see the files that I have left for her. She can download them or upload stuff for me to look at (if I've given her permission to upload).

This really only works if you have the FTP server software on a machine that has fast internet and is connected most of the time (once your pc is turned off, no one has access anymore).

MBN

#5 ·
Microsoft Front Page is as easy as it gets. You don't need to know HTML, etc.
No matter other opinions (the 'old hands' in web development), it is a breeze! If you know any of the Microsoft Office products, you are 95% of the way there! It is just great for people just starting into this web world.

Emma

#6 ·
All he/she is wanting to do is upload and download transcription files from somewhere. There would be no need for a web site nor FrontPage. He/she could even set it up the FTP server at their home if they were on a high speed connection and the files could be uploaded directly to the server. Look up FTP server software on google. I have in the past used Serv-U-FTP Server and it worked great.

#7 ·
Or signup for Yahoo Briefcase (http://briefcase.yahoo.com) for 30 MB or Indiatimes Briefcase (http://briefcase.indiatimes.com) for 12 MB. Depending on your need and space provided, sign up for as many accounts as necessary, share the password and the files.

You don't need to get into the trouble of setting up FTP servers and keeping your machine on for ever. :)

#9 ·
I have a free FTP server that is "WS-FTP LE". I got it for free but can't remember where. It is easier than any other FTP I have used for my website.

I recommend "Web Studio" to design the pages (www.Webstudio.com). All you do is follow easy instructions, it's 1/5 the cost of Frontpage ($50) and a lot easier for a beginner. Yet you can still do special effects and there is no need to know HTML. They have a support forum on-line if you have any problems or questions.

All you need to do is design the page, save it and upload via the FTP. The only drawback is you can't download the site to make a copy in case anything goes wrong on the website itself.

#11 ·
If you want to connect to the internet you need an ISP (Internet Service Provider).
So you subscribe for there services $$$ & you get a user name , password , support , E-mail address but also , with most of the ISP's , you get about 50 MB of web space.
You already are connected to the internet so you probably already use an ISP.

Why not use this web space for your purposes ?

You can connect to this space with FTP (File Transfer Protocol) software or web design software & place all sorts of files there.
You don't really need FTP software , IE (Internet Explorer) is FTP capable.

Usually the web space address is "www.ISP.com/~username"
If you use IE , and type in the address box :
"ftp://username:password@www.ISP.com/~username"
you can drag files to & from that web space.

To read the files you just have to enter the URL to the file.
Example , if you uploaded the file "test.doc" , the receiving party has to enter in the IE address box :
"http://www.ISP.com/~username/test.doc" to access it.

Disadvantage , everybody can access the files if they find out the file names.
You can make it harder by creating sub folders with strange names like "cxz321" which makes it substantially harder to locate the files &
you can for example ZIP the files & give them a password.
Other software is available to encrypt your files.

#12 ·
To my knowledge, WS-FTP LE is a FTP client and not a FTP server. So it can be used to connect to an FTP server but is not a server by itself.

Anyway, if you don't want to use free briefcase options, I can give you some space on my server with an FTP account. Use that FTP username and pasword to upload and download files. No one else will ever be able to see the files simply because the folder will be password protected.

For more details, send me a private message and don't forget to mention the subject. At times, I get multiple private messages and then it becomes difficult to know which one is for what purpose :)

#13 ·
Why don't both of you download the FREE (open source) Mozilla Browser?

It has a composer with it that is extremely intuitive (more so than Front Page) and very easy to learn and use.

You should have already had an FTP application on your computers and assuming that you have an ISP (you're online), as suggested, use the 20 MEG space they give you to load your files.

IF that gets too much traffic and they tell you that's a No, No, then get an ISP service that will handle more traffic. These were just advertised in PC Magazine for $4.95-$19.95 per month.

All your friend in India will need is your login to retrieve the files.

JESSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.