1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to recycle a old desktop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mapexmbirch, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mapexmbirch

mapexmbirch Thread Starter

Things I know: it is about 10 years old that has windows 98, 20GB HDD, CD drive, DVD-RW drive and a floppy disc drive.
    Two USB sockets. Not sure if 2.0 or 1.1, but I plugged a 2.0 memory stick into it yesterday and it recognised that it was 2.0 but couldn't find the driver for it so couldn't connect.
    I think it has 128Mb of RAM but I opened it up today and found one 128Mb and one 64Mb. But windows tells me it only has 128Mb. What is using that 64Mb?

I tried putting Damn small Linux on it this morning by putting it on a CD-R. When I booted it up it said that it found a disc then said failure. According to this I need the dsl-syslinux.iso <reference to illegal process removed>
    The dsl.iso was the one I tried first and it failed.

I have no idea what the CPU is I tried taking of the fan but I couldn't get the screws undone.

From the badly focused pictures can you tell me if I can upgrade the HDD, RAM and CPU so I can put Linux on it and give it a new lease of life. I think the motherboard might not be compatible with today's CPUs etc.

Ask me anything to check to see if the parts are compatible/useable

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      104.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      140.2 KB
      Views:
    • CPU.jpg
      CPU.jpg
      File size:
      156.3 KB
      Views:
    • RAM.jpg
      RAM.jpg
      File size:
      100.2 KB
      Views:
  2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Try a different Linux distro. Like Puppy, for example.

3. mapexmbirch

I just had a look a the system requirements they recommend 128Mb of RAM, so I will give that a go.
    Thanks

4. mapexmbirch

After putting the RAM back in and starting it up again windows is now saying 192Mb of RAM so I guess the 64 was just not connected right.
    I found out that I have a 800MHz CPU.

Anyone know how I can see if the motherboard is compatible with modern parts.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Note: I have edited your first post and removed the reference to a process considered illegal on TSG. Please read the rules with regard to P2P in this forum.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Absolutely not, to install any modern parts...well you can't; you'd have to start completely from scratch. Technology has changed a lot since this was new; probably about 12 years of change.

Use it like it is if you can get some basic version of Linux to run on it or purchase a new or newer used system. For example most computers stores can sell you a way more modern used Pentium 4 system for $100 or less.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice