1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to replace hardware inside of eMachines W3107

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by altjx, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. altjx

altjx Thread Starter

I was looking to build a friend a computer, but he asked that I replace the hardware inside of his existing tower to save him the cost of a brand new one. However, when I've looked up specs on the eMachines W3107, it just states that the form factor is "Tower"... which doesn't help me at all.

I don't build desktops on the regular, although I have finished a few recently. So I'm a bit unsure on this one and wanted to get some input from you guys.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Most OEM cases are cut for the motherboards they contain. So while the case may use a standard size motherboard, the opening in the rear of the case are specific to that motherboard. Aftermarket cases use a removable panel which is supplied with the new motherboard. You could still use that case, but you will likely end up cutting/drilling the case for the new motherboard to fit, which will be an eyesore and impede proper airflow.

3. altjx

altjx Thread Starter

Gotcha. Thanks so much for the information man! Very helpful!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The eMachines W3107 desktop is over 10 years old and was a budget model.

If your friend is going to invest in a new motherboard, processor, RAM, power supply, etc., he might as well invest in a new and more modern tower case.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. CleaverX

CleaverX

Realistically, eMachines were total crappy and cheap builds, not even the case and psu are worth re-using; you would be much better off looking through the DIY kits on Newegg.
    There are great deals for all budgets.

6. altjx

altjx Thread Starter

Yep. Agreed. Just recommended that as well and I think they're going to go ahead and go for it. Thanks again man!

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I definitely agree with you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice