1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to replace my aging network switches

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kenwoodfox, Dec 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. kenwoodfox

kenwoodfox Thread Starter

I use mainly unmanaged 10/100 base switches with gigabit backbone links, for the most part, I use multiple switches because i try and only use the gib rated backbone ports, im looking to upgrade these to managed switches so I can do link aggregation, does anybody have a suggestion on a brand of network switch to get? thanks so much.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What cabling are you using? I assume you're using Category twisted pair copper for the backbone uplinks. What's your network topology and what are the switches you are currently using?

I'd stay away from managed switches as much as possible. I know it's sexy to say you have managed switches on your network. But it brings additional complexity which for many members on here do not need. I looked up some unmanaged switches from Netgear. They have some options in the unmanaged product space. One switch is a 10 port switch with 8 ports of 100/1Gig and 2 ports of 10Gig. Having the physical speed of a particular connection being faster even if it's one physical link is always better than having multiple links in a LAG when looking at raw performance.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How many machines do you have on this network that you need all of these switches?

4. zx10guy

The use of multiple switches doesn't cause any issue with the actual speed of data transmission. However it does increase the latency as there is a delay when data is moved between ports on any given switch. RJ45 based switches have port to port latency measured of at least a few microseconds. Faster switches using pluggable ports/optics have latency in the nanoseconds. Infiniband and Omnipath switches have very low latency in the lower nanosecond range.

So while most home users won't notice the increased latency resulting from stringing multiple switches together, doing this also increases the risk for network failure. The more devices you introduce into the network path, the more likely you'll have a network outage as any one of those network switches can fail.

5. kenwoodfox

Thanks for the replies, sorry for not specifying
    @zx10guy Thanks for the post about not adding more complexity, some of my switches are mannaged now and ive not had any issues, though if i could find one of those models with the web gui that would be sweet, i hate having to keep 20 different serial adapters on hand just to talk to my various model switches.
    I have cat6 cable running on the backbone, regular cat6 with rj45 connectors
    I want managed switches because I need link aggregation, I can't afford fiber.
    I have about 80 machines, 10 of which are installed into the 1gib backbone

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. zx10guy

Since you have Cat6 throughout, I would consider getting a switch with 10Gig uplinks at a minimum. I'm not sure how long your Cat6 runs are but Cat6 will support 10Gig up to 55 meters. I am currently running 2 10Gig links in a LAG from my server room in my basement to my home office over Cat6.

Other than LAG, what managed features are you currently using with your managed switches?

As far as a web GUI, switches that have this as the only management interface are called smart switches; some times web managed switches. My experience with smart switches ranged from when Cisco first put out their first line of web GUI only switches to Linksys to Netgear to Dell Networking. Of all of them, I'm a bit more partial to how Netgear has implemented their web GUI. I personally have had 6 or so Netgear Smart switches on my home network. My current setup has two Netgear managed switches (one a 8 port 1Gig smart switch and the other a 16 port 10Gig fully managed switch). The Netgear switches are operating happily with other switches I have on my home networks which are Dell Networking, Juniper, and Cisco.

7. kenwoodfox

I also wouldn't mind network addressable switches so I could use tools like telnet to configure them (im just lazy)
    I don't have LAG setup anywhere yet, I need more managed switches, the cat6 is a single backbone line but i plan on adding 8 paralell lines though if ill be able to do 10gib i guess i won't need nearly as many. Id likes to try and find rack mount form factor switches. I've got an upstairs server room and a downstairs one, I think the total length between these major spots is 80 meters.
    Thanks so much for the replies.

8. zx10guy

Well, I'd stay away from Telnet. If the managed switch has an option to turn off Telnet, I always do that. Telnet is very insecure. If you want to get command line level access then SSH should be the only option. But with Smart switches, most of them do not have the ability to access them via command line. It's only through the GUI. This is why they're at a cheaper price point. Those that do have command line access will only have a limited amount of things you can do.

If you don't have any LAGs configured on your network now, then why are you using any managed switches? Is this setup at a business?

Pretty much all managed/smart switches will be rackmountable. There are only a small set of these switches which will not have the provisions to be rackmountable.

If you want to run 10Gig over twisted pair copper at 80 meters, you'll have to use Cat6a cabling. As I said above, Cat6 will support 10Gig but up to about 55 meters. Cat6a supports 10Gig to the standard Ethernet spec of 100 meters.

9. kenwoodfox

I can cut the length down to about 50 meters exact if I skip some items.
    No this is my home setup, I get all my equipment out of the trash, so its only chance that I have four or so managed switches. Im looking for smart switches with web guis? Sounding good so far :3

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!