1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to set up a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by christ543, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christ543

christ543 Thread Starter

Currently I have your simple, run of the mill network going. Router connects to computer gives it internet. Simple stuff. But I want to use my laptop in my summerhouse outside, but the original router's range is not long enough by no more than a meter or two. Sure I can get access outside if I sprawl the router across the room, but to be honest thats just impracticle.

What I was thinking is buying a go between router, but im not exactly sure how this would be set up. Would it be connected directly to the modem router? through a computer? Im not sure. Ive attached a crude diagram of what my network is currently, and im hoping someone can shed some light on how to set up a go between so I can have a decent internet connection outside.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. donex

donex

YO christ,

I recommend a few solns.

- You might want to upgrade the antenna on your router. WiFi antennas on most wireless base stations can be removed and replaced with more powerful ones.

- Reposition your router try to avoid any load bearing wall, walls that have metal running through it. I think it does affect the range significantly. Also avoid onstructions and any thing that might cause radio interference.

- add a bi-directional WiFi signal amplifier to wireless devices as needed. A WiFi signal amplifier (sometimes called "signal booster") attaches to a router, access point or Wi-Fi client at the place where the antenna connects. Bi-directional antennas amplify the wireless signal in both transmit and receive directions. These should be used as WiFi transmissions are two-way radio communications.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi and welcome to TSG:
    In additions to Donex's good tips,here is another tip from a Johnwill post.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

Hope this helps a bit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice