1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to upgrade graphics card and CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by james221, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Hello, i am looking to upgrade my old PC's GPU as well as CPU.

The motherboard does have the required slots for a new graphics card. Right now it has an integrated one ( ATI Radeon 2100 ) as well as a weak one core processor (amd sempron 140). The motherboard is FOXCONN A74ML-K. What are some good, but rather cheap graphics cards as well as a processor which will fit my motherboard, both for the price of £120 combined? I would like to use this computer for light gaming, i dont expect ultra settings on every game, just want them to be playable. And can this motherboard work with any processor and graphics cards?

Thanks for suggestions :)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're considering upgrading the processor, adding a video card, adding more RAM, etc., so you can use that computer for gaming, you probably also need to upgrade the power supply.

I'm not an upgrade expert nor a gamer, so my advice is pretty limited.

I'll leave you to those who can give you more and better advice.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well it took quite a bit of looking however here is the cpu support page for your board;
    http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusu...ket=Socket AM2+/AM2&model=A74ML-K&cputype=AMD

You are limited to 95W cpus so about the fastest you could install would be a 95W 945 [if you can still find any]

IMO I would NOT put any money into this old of technology; it is not cost effective. If you want a gaming system, then save your money until you can either build one or have one built for you.

4. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Thanks for looking for me. Are any of them processors actually decently good? If not, does that mean that i need a new motherboard? And what is the price range of motherboards? Will my current motherboard support any graphics card? And finally, could i make anything decent with this motherboard.Thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not only would you need a new motherboard, but new RAM, and probably a new power supply to go with a new video card. You may also need to reinstall Windows or even buy a new copy of Windows.

The motherboard can physically accept any modern PCI-Express graphics but you will limited by the weak processor and you may need a new power supply to handle the extra power demands of the graphics card.

In such cases it's generally better to sell the old computer and get some money for it and put it toward a whole new computer.

If you really can't do that than the link posted above shows which CPU's are compatible and the list includes certain Phenom X4 and X6's processors that are still fairly decent, the ones with the higher model numbers are better than those will lower numbers, and the X4's are four core processors and the X6 are six core processors.

It just comes down to if its cost effective to upgrade an old system or better to incest that same money into a new much faster system.

6. james221

james221 Thread Starter

I suppose i will stay with my current motherboard. Is there any specific processor out of the list that does it's job best at a decent price? And which graphics card for max £100 would be good? I am aware that i will need a new power supply too.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The problem is that you have older technology and the availability of cpus is limited. I think I saw a single cpu on newegg for your board and that one was not really a "Performance" cpu. As I said above you might try and find a 945 [95W version] on ebay or other used parts supplier however IMO it just not worth putting any money into this system.

8. james221

james221 Thread Starter

You said that im limited to 95W processors, on that list there is a couple of decent quad cores, wouldn't they work with my motherboard if they're 95w?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes; that is what I said. The 945 would be ok however and it is a big however you cannot buy those new any longer. About the only option is to look on ebay and that is really hit or miss as to whether or not the parts you buy really work.

You might try a shop that does builds; they often have some "Pulled" parts cheap.

Again you are putting money into 4~5yr old tech. Much better off to build a system for gaming. Remember you are going to need a new pw supply as well [if you install an updated video card]

10. james221

james221 Thread Starter

Ok i understand everything now regarding processors. Can anyone recommend some budget good graphics card?:)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post the exact pw supply you have installed OR what pw supply you intend to install. Note do not post "500W" post the exact make and model # [it is on the label attached to the pw supply]

Once we know what pw supply you have or will use, then we can recommend a video card.

12. james221

james221 Thread Starter

I will be buying a new power supply as well, Therefore if possible name the card and what power supply will be needed.

Thanks for help you provided already!

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1106774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice