1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking to upgrade graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigFunka, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigFunka

BigFunka Thread Starter

I have a Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet) motherboard, and for a time now I could never figure out whether it had PCI express 1.0 or 2.0 slot. I still don't have a solid answer which is why I am here. I do game a fair bit and I would like a very solid and dependable upgrade.

Any suggestions?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    what model HP or Compaq computer is this or was it originally part of?

3. BigFunka

BigFunka Thread Starter

It is an HP a6702f Pavillion Model

4. Markgg88

Markgg88

You have 1 PCI Express x16 slot so you can fit any modern GPU in there. However, you need to replace the stock 300W PSU since it won't handle any single card out there.

Got a budget in mind?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you upgraded the pw supply? Big box systems ie dell, hp, whatever ship with a pw supply that is just enough to power the system as shipped. There is little or no reserver for power hungry upgrades ie real video card.

I checked and cannot find if it is pci-1 1.0 or 2.0. I do not build with nvidia chipset boards so I do not have a lot of knowledge regarding nvidia chipsets.

6. BigFunka

BigFunka Thread Starter

Yes I know I will have to replace the PSU,

And how about a $200-250 budget on an appropriate videocard/PSU, any suggestions?

7. Markgg88

Markgg88

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice