1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looks like there's no other alternative at this point.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CoRoMo, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Continuing where we left off here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1006038-expert-told-me-theres-something.html

This machine is certainly no better, easily worse. Internet speeds are a bit better (~3mbs) than they were back in summer, but the speed of the PC is just abysmal. Even though the speed tests average about 3mbs, you'd never know it from surfing the internet; reminds me of the dial-up days. I recently used to be able to watch YouTube video if they were set at no more than 360P, but now, forget it. It's too choppy to be worth it at all.

So I suppose I should just reformat the hard drive or reinstall the OS or whatever you call it to get this thing back to its original condition. Right?

And if so, how do I do that? I figure that, before I spend money on a new PC or having someone look at this one, this is my only other option left. Right?

The only thing that's changed from the above mentioned thread is the performance. No new software or hardware, just increasingly terrible performance on the internet.

2. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57184 MB, Free - 8523 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation, 07W080
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

3. pip22

pip22

I'd put your slow internet speed down to the provider - some issies at their end, not yours.
    Especially since you say (in your other thread) that your getting faster speeds from the other provider who is supposed to be slower.

To return your PC to it's original factory-installed configuration depends on what recovery media you have, if any.
    If you have no recovery discs and no retail, unused copy of Windows, then the only other method is by accessing the recovery partition on the hard drive if it exists. Access to that & the recovery interface is usually possible by pressing a specific key (often one of the 'F' keys) during boot at the splash-screen. In fact, the spash-screen may show that information at the bottom.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

We will need to know about your machine in order to help with recovery. Exactly what model is it?

(It is certainly possible that after you do all this, your speeds will be the same.)

5. raybro

raybro

Please provide the Dell service Tag number. Its a 7 digit, alpha-numeric on the outside of the case.

6. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Is there a way, some simple little exercises that I could attempt, to differentiate internet issues, from problems within the PC?

For example, as I'm typing this post, the browser (FF) will sort of freeze up and the text that I'm typing freezes. I continue to type, but the text isn't displayed, and after a little while, it all catches up with a quick flood of the text that I typed while it was frozen.

Another example; I'll right click on a link to open it in another tab. How long should that menu take to appear? Less than a second? A full second? Several seconds?

Or let's say I'm going to switch from the browser tab that I'm on to another one. That can lock up the computer for a minute or so just by itself.

How about the scroll bar? If I try and grab it with my pointer, to move it up or down, and that freezes up the browser as well, is that an issue coming from the ISP or within this PC?

These are the sort of issues I'm referring to, and I've associated them with the computer rather than the ISP. I can assure you that this computer never operated this poorly before, so is it still true that whatever we might do to it, it may still perform as glitchy? When I think of internet speed issues, I only think of loading pages, not simple tasks freezing up everything. It acts like it doesn't have the RAM to perform the littlest thing.

In my last thread I was getting speed test results half of what I'm getting now, but believe me, things were running a whole lot faster then, than they are now. Is it possible to test with quicker speeds and get poorer performance like this?

7. raybro

raybro

I'd say some program running in the background is eating up your resources to the point there is inadequate RAM available for normal operations. Or you may have some kind of malware infecting your computer.

I suggest you run a scan with HiJackThis (HJT). Its a free download here.

Install HJT to its default location

Close all open windows, including browser.

Run HJT and select "Do a system scan and save a logfile".

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy the entire log file content and paste into the body of your next reply.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING!!!

There are only a few Trusted Adviser's authorized the analyze HJT log files, so be patient. I will notify one of them after your HJT log file is posted.

8. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Oh goodness. Took forever to get here.

Held my mouse pointer over the 'here' link in raybro's post for a good while, before the arrow pointer changed to the little glove/hand, allowing me to actually access the link.

Anyway, attached is the log...

Attached Files:

9. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Please everyone, reply to this...

The quoted thought is no different than the last couple threads that I've brought up about this issue. Everyone chalks this up to the ISP.

Okay, so here's the rub:

YouTube used to be a little hairy to deal with. What I would do was, I'd pause the video and let it load substantially so that the video would be smooth. I assume the PC was only having to process the video it already had within it, as long as there was enough within it, it could run it for me with no issues. I used to do this with dial-up even, and as long as the video has loaded almost fully, the PC will run through it fine. It was a wait to get some video loaded, but watching it was satisfactory.

But now? Forget that.

It doesn't matter if you let the entire amount of video load, the PC can't process the video quick enough to make watching it worth the while.

So, to me... that doesn't seem like an ISP issue. But I'm no expert compared to you guys. So tell me, what the heck is up here?

10. raybro

raybro

I copied the HJT lo file to a post for convenience. Now we must wait for one of the authorized HJT analysts to review it and respond.

One item did get my attention... You are still using IE6. You really should upgrade to IE8 or at least IE7. This may or may not be part of the problem, so you should still wait for the analysts input.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 6:38:49 PM, on 11/17/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO GeekBuddy\CLPSLS.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
    C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.drudgereport.com/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Internet Security] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TClockEx] C:\Program Files\TClockEx\TCLOCKEX.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
    O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/PCPitStop.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www2.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/pr02/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1143245617281
    O16 - DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2009.07.28_v5.5.8.1/FacebookPhotoUploader55.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,16/mcgdmgr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E77F23EB-E7AB-4502-8F37-247DBAF1A147} (Windows Live Hotmail Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01/photouploadcontrol/MSNPUpld.cab
    O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: AutoComplete Service (Autocomplete) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~2\autocomp.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: COMODO livePCsupport Service (CLPSLS) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO GeekBuddy\CLPSLS.exe
    O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe

--
    End of file - 5194 bytes

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the service tag number that you provided, your computer is a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop. It was manufactured in May 2003.

Here is the Dell support site that's specific ONLY to your desktop. You might want to add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

It supports up to 1 GB of DDR PC2100 or DDR PC2700 RAM. It looks like you've already maxed it out.

----------------------------------------------------

Let's see what's currently installed in your computer that may need to be uninstalled, updated, replaced, or added.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

If your computer has a large buildup of temp files, that can cause various problems.

Click Start - Run, then type in

%temp%

and then click OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in

c:\windows\temp

and then click OK.

Once those 2 temp folders appear and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal behavior. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

After you're done, restart the computer.

12. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

I use FireFox.

Temp files were fairly few. I always keep on top of that with the utilities mentioned in the previously mentioned thread.

Here's the stuff. I emboldened the ones I initially thought would/should/could get uninstalled because I either don't know what they are, they seem superfluous, redundant, or because I don't use them to my knowledge.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Adobe Reader 7.0 needs to be updated to version 10.1.1.

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX needs to be updated to version 11.0.1.152.

Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin needs to be updated to version 11.0.1.152.

Apple Application Support
    Apple Software Update
    can be uninstalled.

CCleaner needs to be uninstalled, unless you really know how to use it safely.

Google Update Helper can be uninstalled.

HP Software Update
    HP Update
    can be uninstalled.

Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.29(6 Update 29) needs to be installed.

Mozilla Firefox 3.6.24 needs to be updated to version 8.0.1.

PowerDVD
    QuickTime
    can be uninstalled.

Skype 5.3 needs to be updated to version 5.6.0.110.

------------------------------------------------------------

HP Image Zone 4.2
    HP PSC & OfficeJet 4.2
    should be uninstalled ONLY if you no longer have the HP printer/scanner that's associated with them.

------------------------------------------------------------

14. CoRoMo

CoRoMo Thread Starter

Done.
    This will speed things up?
    Done. Should this run at start up?

15. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Just a note before you upgrade Firefox from 3.6 to 8.0.
    Make a backup copy of your Profile folder.
    Click Help>Troubleshooting Information.
    Click "Open Containing Folder" button in the Application Data section to open the Profile.
    In the Profile, click Edit>Select all then Edit>Copy.
    Right click an empty area of your desktop and select New>Folder.
    Name it Backup and open it.
    Click Edit>Paste.
    That will do two things.
    It will give you an exact copy of your Profile if something goes wrong with the upgrade or you decide you want to roll back to an earlier version than 8.0 and it will also give you an idea of the transfer speed within your computer (how fast things work when it's not internet related).
    For example, if you have a bad memory stick or failing processor, it will take a long time to create the copy.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice