1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loop Current too High.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allicia_T, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Modem Helper:
    Loop current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line connection.

I use a Motorola (SP?) 56k modem to get online. Shortly after this message was displayed, I noticed my ISP connection was lost and trying to auto-reconnect. I access the internet using Localnet. I've never seen this message before, and a Google search yielded very little helpful info.

Phone lines seem to be operating just fine. No connection issues with calls, etc.

Anyone know what this message could mean? Is it a modem related or phone line issue?

System Info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 766 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1250, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 147761 MB, Free - 97789 MB; D: Total - 147487 MB, Free - 147391 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer , F690GVM , ,
    Antivirus: BitDefender Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Attached Files:

2. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Hmmmm..is even the tech guy stumped on this issues? No replies at all. I know I'm stumped. Have done 2 google searches and very little helpful info seems available.

3. XPUser1991

XPUser1991

got this from a google search:

Get An Error Message “Loop current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line connection” When you try to dial a connection an error message box pops up, indicating that you are not connected to a proper analog phone line. This is the SM56 digital line guard feature, which protects against hardware damage if the modem is plugged into a high current phone outlet -- such as a digital phone jack. The modem automatically detects the over-current and goes back on-hook before hardware damage occurs. Check the phone outlet and make sure that it is a real analog phone line. Try another analog phone jack.

from: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/12655/eng/Motorola.htm

basically what this is saying is, that your trying to plug the modem into a digital phone jack, so i would suggest trying a different phone jack in your home, if you've got one.

4. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Most definitely do not have a digital phone line. It's the same analog line I've had for 21 years. Only the one jack's available. The modem came with the computer, which I purchased in Dec. of 2008, so the line and modem are the same as they were 2 yrs ago. Any other ideas what might be causing this issue? Is it perhaps something wrong with my analog jack? Could that cause a surge to the modem? Kinda glad the modem detects this and shuts down!

5. K7M

K7M

Do you receive this message all the time or just this once?

6. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

Yes this was the first time it happened. While it has not happened again since the original post, I am having a harder time maintaining an internet connection, but then again, we've had a good bought of nasty weather which may be playing a roll in that.

7. K7M

K7M

It is a million to one shot but it is possible that your modem was trying to connect at the exact moment the phone was about to ring and that is about 85-130 volts at 30hz., thus the high loop current warning. Just check all your connections.

8. Allicia_T

Allicia_T Thread Starter

I did unplug phone lines, including from the computer, and the jack, and re-plug them all back in. So far I have not received that Loop current message again. My Internet connection has been a bit more stable today, but far from perfect. It would not be the first time something defies the odds, when it comes to computers and me. If only that translated to a lottery ticket, lol. How do I mark this thread? I can't say issue is solved, but at the same time, since it has not occurred again, cannot say it's still an issue either. Should I, if this does occur again, perhaps have my phone line checked to be sure it's functioning currectly?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice