1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loose Pins on Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmcnally, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 which at this point can only be described as an old war horse. Bought in 2002 It got my wife through law school, and is now still holding up in our second year living in the developing world. Understandably, it's starting to have some issues, but I'm hoping with a litte help it can get us through the end of our time overseas in May. I think these issues are related to loose pins/connections on the motherboard, but I don't know exactly where and my internet access is spotty at best so I could really use some guidance about where to check. Ok, to the symptoms:

• Recently, the machine would not boot up. It seemed to start, but then shut itself down almost immediately. When I took it apart and put it back together, it gave me a message that it had shut down to avoid overheating. But this couldn't be right since it had been off all night and was not hot at all. The fan is working fine so I think the problem may be related to the sensor or auto-shutoff mechanism.
    • Once I had the machine back together, a diagonal row of keys stopped working. The '8', 'i', 'k', qnd ',' key would not respond.

Can anyone point me towards what could be causing these issues? Thanks in advance.

2. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Really would appreciate any guidance anyone can give on this. The machine continues to auto-shut down even when started for the first time in days, and sometimes will boot up but with the fan running full speed and constantly, so I think a temperature sensor is a likely culprit, but I don't know where it is located or if it is possible to repair easily.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice