1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loosing it...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by seffmeister, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seffmeister

seffmeister Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilian DV 6000 with vista and it has a built in web cam...
    What im trying to do is record myself from my web cam wich i have done lots of research
    about and have succeded... The problem is when i play it back its in double speed likits in fast forward and the sound is off... Ive checked to see if i need to update my driver and it says its updated and my web cam runs fine my computer is maybe a year old.. ive downloaded many different things to try and record myself even the easiest and does work
    quick play and it records like all the rest of the programs but plays back double speed..
    why is this happening and how can i fix it????? how do i make it play back normal speed..
    if it would work anywhere any program quickplay is fine i dont care at this point..if seen on the internet alot of people are hving the same problem what is causing this and how can i fix it????? thanks to anyone who can help...

2. L0gic

L0gic

Sounds like you have a bad registry entry, here's how to fix it:

This pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows Vista.

Understanding problems with webcams
    Some notebook models with Ricoh webcams did not ship with the proper registry keys. As a result, the recorded video appears to play in fast forward mode during playback. This document will help you identity your brand of webcam and correct the registry keys, if needed.

Identify webcam brand
    To determine which brand of webcam device is present, follow the steps below.

Click Start, type Device Manager in the search field and then press Enter.

Click the + sign next to Imaging Devices and then double click HP Pavilion Webcam.

Select the General tab and view the name of the manufacturer of the webcam next to Manufacturer.

If the manufacturer is Ricoh, proceed to Backing up your registry .

If the manufacturer is Chicony, you may exit this procedure. You should not experience the same playback issue.

If the manufacturer is Microsoft, select the Details tab to gain more information.

Under Property, use the pull-down menu to select Hardware Ids. If the information in the Value field reads USB\VID_05CA, the camera is a Ricoh. If it is any other brand, you may exit this procedure. You should not experience the same playback issue.

Figure 1: Webcam Properties

Image of Device Manager with webcam properties tab open.

If your notebook PC has a Ricoh webcam, you should follow the instructions to backup the registry and then edit the required registry keys.

Backing up your registry
    When you edit the Windows registry keys, you must follow the instructions completely. If you edit the wrong registry key, or input the data incorrectly, you may experience system problems. HP recommends backing up your registry keys BEFORE you edit. If a problem occurs after editing your registry, and you have properly backed up your registry keys, you may easily restore your registry to its previous condition by following the steps in the section below.

NOTE: Do not follow these steps to export a whole registry subkey. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER is an example of such a subtree.) If you must back up the whole registry subtree, back up the whole registry instead.

If you wish to proceed directly to altering your registry, continue to the Edit your registry section.

Back up your registry
    To restore the registry keys that you exported, double-click the Registration Entries (.reg) file that you saved previously.

Click Start > Run.

In the Search field, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl...

On the File menu, click Export.

In the Save in box, select a location where you want to save the Registration Entries (.reg) file.

Type a name in the File name box that's easy to remember, and then click Save.

If you wish to restore your registry keys in the future, simply double-click the Registration Entries (.reg) file that you saved previously.

Edit your registry
    To edit your registry keys to the values that are required to run a Ricoh webcam successfully, follow the steps below.

Click Start > Run.

In the Open field, type regedit and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl...

Right click File , select Edit > New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

Type UvcFlags as the name for the new word and press Enter.

Right click UvcFlags and select Modify.

Type 10 in Value data and then press Enter.

Close the registry editor and reboot the notebook PC.

Test your webcam, and confirm that altering the registry keys has solved the playback issue.

Regards,
    L0GIC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice