Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lose my data?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Gloucesterkiwi 
#1 ·
If I have a Siemens AMILO laptop with HDD partioned C: & D: with all data on the latter, will it be affected if I do a OS repair using manufactuers disc from boot?

#2 ·
Normally, yes. If you use the manufacturer's disk to repair your system, it will put it back to the way it was when you purchased the laptop. This includes wiping out any partitions that were not there when you got the laptop

The manufacturer's CD is an image of the drive. If there were empty partitions when you got the laptop, they will normally be emptied if you restore it.

Courtney

#3 ·
Thanks for your speedy answer.

I have another question. The issue I have with the computer is that it takes me straight to the manufacturers 'repair' option on boot. I've tried the only other choice ie 'load windows as normal' option - and, the sequence takes me back to the 'repair' option.

I guess this means that there is a probelm with the active partition.

When I useed a boot disc and explorer to check the drive and partitions, I found that there is an issue with C: whereby it is not registering correctly ie although its 'there', it has no size or data shown on it. I guess its corrupt in some way.

So, the question I have is there anything I could try to fix the partition before resorting to the manufacturers 'repair' approach.

#5 ·
Would someone kindly advise me how to use NTFSCHK to check the file structure on my C: drive - which I think must be corrupted.

My bootup is looping, I cannot get the system to boot to the last good config or to safe mode.

As a last resort to save my data I am now trying anything and everything that may help.

Somehow I need tpo be able to create a bootable CD with NTFSCHK on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.