1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lose my Internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by uselbi, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

I have XP Pro and I lose my Internet connection. I’ve tried everything including getting a new Network card and I still cannot connect to the Internet. I connect another computer to the line and it works fine. Need some help? Jim

2. mphair

mphair

because you connected "another computer to the line" i'll assume that its a wired connection and not a wireless.
    maybe check network connections. if there is more than one thing enabled, disable the connections that you arnt using. only have the card that the line is plugged into connected. if that doesnt work or you already have that, it might be an ip conflict.
    go into network connections, right click the connection that you are using and go to properties.
    select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click "Properties"
    make sure that both IP address, and DNS are being obtained automatically then go to "Alternate Configuration" and make sure that automatically is selected.
    if all of those settings are already like that, then i'm stumped.

3. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

mphair,

Tried all that before and still doesn't work. Bye the way it is hard wired. Jim

4. mphair

mphair

what type of internet connection...are you using a router...if so what type of router...do the lights on the network card start blinking when you plug it in...?

5. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

mphair

I use cablevision and I plug right into the computer. Jim

6. mphair

mphair

not sure, sorry

7. steven1350

steven1350

do u have a router?

8. mphair

mphair

9. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Steven1350. No router

10. steven1350

steven1350

If you don't have a router, how do share an internet connection? You need to purchase a router or a switch if you want more then one computer to use the internet.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

12. steven1350

steven1350

This is taken from that link.

It is simply saying that you can share a connection using a device (router, switch)

13. mphair

mphair

correct me if i'm wronguselbi, but i dont think his aim is to share internet. i think he has a line coming in from cable, goes to modem, then connects to a computer. that computer keeps loosing the connection. when he detatches that computer and attatches a different computer to the modem, it works fine. can you think of any recent changes you have made in terms of software to your computer?

14. mphair

mphair

have you updated drivers?

15. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for trying to help. I solved the problem by reinstalling the operation system and it's working fine now....Thanks again...Jim(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice