Lose my Internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

uselbi

I have XP Pro and I lose my Internet connection. I’ve tried everything including getting a new Network card and I still cannot connect to the Internet. I connect another computer to the line and it works fine. Need some help? Jim

because you connected "another computer to the line" i'll assume that its a wired connection and not a wireless.
maybe check network connections. if there is more than one thing enabled, disable the connections that you arnt using. only have the card that the line is plugged into connected. if that doesnt work or you already have that, it might be an ip conflict.
go into network connections, right click the connection that you are using and go to properties.
select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click "Properties"
make sure that both IP address, and DNS are being obtained automatically then go to "Alternate Configuration" and make sure that automatically is selected.
if all of those settings are already like that, then i'm stumped.

uselbi

mphair,

Tried all that before and still doesn't work. Bye the way it is hard wired. Jim

what type of internet connection...are you using a router...if so what type of router...do the lights on the network card start blinking when you plug it in...?

uselbi

mphair

I use cablevision and I plug right into the computer. Jim

uselbi said:
Steven1350. No router
If you don't have a router, how do share an internet connection? You need to purchase a router or a switch if you want more then one computer to use the internet.

You can attach a home network to your cable modem; however Optimum Online does not provide technical assistance with any home networking devices. Please contact your home networking device manufacturer for support.
This is taken from that link.

It is simply saying that you can share a connection using a device (router, switch)

correct me if i'm wronguselbi, but i dont think his aim is to share internet. i think he has a line coming in from cable, goes to modem, then connects to a computer. that computer keeps loosing the connection. when he detatches that computer and attatches a different computer to the modem, it works fine. can you think of any recent changes you have made in terms of software to your computer?

uselbi

Hi guys, thanks for trying to help. I solved the problem by reinstalling the operation system and it's working fine now....Thanks again...Jim(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online