1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lose net connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by farscapeuk, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. farscapeuk

farscapeuk Thread Starter

Hi and please help,
    Iuse winxp home and explorer 7, i connect to the net fine after a few mins i lose connection if i reboot the modem its ok again till a few mins and gone again please help

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

You reboot the modem ....how exactly

If you reboot the PC does it come back?

3. farscapeuk

i unplug the modem for 10 secs and replug, i did reboot pc at first but no change

4. farscapeuk

also checked for loose connections,i thought it might be my norton 7 at first so removed it and tried blueyonders antivirus programme but still no joy?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood......

Is it always the same time when it looses connection or does it vary?

6. farscapeuk

it seems to me to be anything from 5, 10, 15, or 20 mins?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Can you try this

Start the PC in Safemode with Networking and see how long it works

1. Restart your computer.
    2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

8. farscapeuk

hi bonk, i'm now in safe mode? should i just wait to see how long the connection lasts?

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes see if it lasts a lot longer

Your are in Safe Mode with Networking correct?

10. farscapeuk

it lasted 22mins but i came out worried the antivirus was not on in safe mode

11. farscapeuk

after reboot the net connected for 5 mins then disconnected so i had to reboot the modem again to reconnect, whats happening?

12. bbearren

bbearren

Is this a dialup, DSL, or cable modem?

13. bonk

bonk Banned

Sounds like either a program is disconnecting you that's running or might be an infection.

14. farscapeuk

its a cable modem, if a programme is disconnecting the net how can i find which one? Also could the net switch itself off after a set time?

15. Ulysses69

Ulysses69

Not familiar with cable modems, but have you tried backing up your system (using Ghost or other imaging software), then quickly installing a fresh copy of your OS (without any other software etc) so you can do a bare-bones connection test!? It may take you 2 hours or so, but you'd definately be able to assertain if it's either a software or hardware problem them, rather than spending even more time wondering which of the billions of registry entries or trojans that 'might' be attributing to the disconnects.

I know when I first got a 56K modem, it would disconnect when a rogue dialer got on my machine. Getting an ADSL modem fixed that, but being an internal modem, it had a tendancy to disconnect from time to time ... replacing it with an external ADSL modem solved all my problems.

Also try connecting your machine at a friend's if they have cable, to see if you can get a steady connection - maybe your residence is in a bad location.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!