1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Lose sound when plugging in monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lareux, Mar 26, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an external monitor that I am hooking up to my laptop through a VGA to USB adapter. When I plug the monitor in I lose sound on my laptop. Can someone help me set the sound so that it doesn't disconnect when I plug in this monitor?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190807210628.000000-420
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
    Graphics Card: MS Idd Device
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (403 GB Free); S: 100 GB (99 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. 09T1DJ, ver A00, s/n /H5RW2F2/CNWSC0073500FN/
    System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n H5RW2F2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I could not find any information on sound loss with VGA to USB.
    The best I can do is point you to an hdmi sound loss and you can look over your settings. HDMI supports audio but VGA doesn't. So it doesn't really explain why the sound chip in your laptop stops working when you plug a 2nd monitor into a USB port.
    https://windowsreport.com/no-sound-second-monitor/

Lareux likes this.
  3. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

Wow!!! That was too easy. I was following the first suggestion listed on that site and found that my default output device had changed to USB speaker. I changed it back and now have sound. Thank you so much. You have made my day.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Glad you are able to hear things again. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1242109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice