1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loses wireless after standby - must reboot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HenryE, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryE

HenryE Thread Starter

This two-year-old P4/WXP laptop has been working perfectly as a business-only unit for one user, and has had perhaps ONE crash due to a faulty app, so I have no skills at problem-solving. AV includes AvastPro, Prevx (to check installations), and Windows Firewall. The computer isn't used for gaming or "surfing", but nevertheless I use Spybot S&D and HijackThis regularly, so it's probable that nothing evil has crept in.

Suddenly, it's gotten problematic. When revived from standby, it no longer "sees" the wireless network at either my home or office. The icon indicates that it does (computer with radiating signal, no negotiation or red bar), but there's no actual connection to the internet.

When I View Available Wireless Networks, there's nothing there. If I try to Repair, it doesn't get past DNS.

I thought it might be a (Windows) firewall setting, but "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service".

In all other respects the unit appears to be working fine, but it's a pain to have to reboot after STANDBY.

???

2. HenryE

HenryE Thread Starter

Just discovered...

EVEN WHEN WORKING AFTER REBOOT (i.e. with connectivity), when I click on View Available Wireless Networks, I see no "available wireless networks", but:

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

Something's gone missing - but it's working until standby...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice