1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing Connection - Disk or Network Error??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Johnny5Alive, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnny5Alive

Johnny5Alive Thread Starter

Hello

Im running my workstation computer with Win98se. It is networked with a Server running NT4.0

Ive done a lot of digging on MS website and other forums and cannot find a solution to this problem. Heres the description of what my computer is doing:

I log on to the network and all my network connections are successful. After a random period of time (around a couple hours) my network connection is lost and I get an error "Disk or Network Error".

My computer starts responding with pauses. And the only solution is to reboot. I dont know what is causing this. Any suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Could be a bad NIC, it has all the symptoms of one.

3. eurodat

eurodat

I had almost the same problem when we had the recent heatwave here in the UK.. I replaced the NIC and it went away... I guess it was getting too hot in the case..

4. tahcamen

tahcamen

I've had the same problem recently. I'll be online and everything's working fine and then after about an hour or so I lose connection. All my internet apps (IE, MSN messanger, Yahoo messanger, etc) get dropped at once. When i try to reconnect them they won't, either they show no response from server or a message saying that I appear to be behind a firewall or that my proxy settings are set wrong. I've tried it without a firewall and I don't use a proxy anyway. I've also tried a new modem and going through the usb port instead of the nic and still it's the same thing :( Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

5. tahcamen

tahcamen

Oh I can get them to reconnect without rebooting if I go into network connections (under control panel) and right click the lan connection and click repair.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Tahcamen, it's considered bad form to hijack someone else's thread. Please start your own thread on your problem, since your problem doesn't appear to be related to the one we're discussing here.

7. tahcamen

tahcamen

hehe actually it sounded to me like our problems were pretty closely related so I posted what i've tried to fix the problem in the hopes that it may help johny out. Also it gives me a tag on a post that may get a response from the right person and resolve the issue.

8. Johnny5Alive

Johnny5Alive Thread Starter

I think Im going to have to live with it. I just pulled another card from a computer in the closet here. Installed it and like the thread I started now I get all the computers to show but no server. So that is no good.

Its one of those weeks nothing goes right...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice