1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing connection to TSG via DSL

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by RandyG, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RandyG

RandyG Thread Starter

Hi All!

Something that has been irritating me the last month or so . . .

Just about every day, i end up getting 404 errors on TSG, and TSG only. I can browse elsewhere with no problems.

At first I thought the site went down, but after confirming with Mike, found the site had been live.

I rebooted my DSL modem, and found the site with no problems. Now, I am just getting plain irritated at the fact that I have to do it daily.

I figure that a server somewhere along the path of my DSL is doing something funky, as rebooting the dsl will force a new route to open up.

Has anyone had experiences like this and found a way around it??

Does anyone know if this is a setting that needs to be applied to the D-Link 504 I have?

Thanx for any insight.

Randy

2. RSM123

RSM123

Randy G,

I too have been getting the same error - my connection is via an Alcatel USB Modem on DSL from here in London.

Though for me its only an intermittent fault.

Last occasion for me was early yesterday evening 18:00 to 19:00 approx.

3. RandyG

RandyG Thread Starter

OK, so we can assume it's a routing problem through some server that we are both using.

Do you have to reboot the dsl modem to reaccess the site?

4. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

No I was getting it suddenly going from one forum to another - then all attempts to access anything here proved fruitless Post Count, User CP, etc.

I assumed it was down for backups so just went elsewhere - then returned later and all was well.

Not modem related I believe.

5. RandyG

RandyG Thread Starter

Well, after that first time when it stayed that way for a few hours, I never waited to see if it came back, just did the reboot, which always sorted it out.

It never happens when I first come to the site, but browsing from one area within the site to another, so that much is similar!!

6. RandyG

RandyG Thread Starter

Ok, this issue is still happening for me.

Funny thing is when it does, i can get to status.techguy.org and cermak.com

i just can't get to helpionthe.net, techguy.org, or forums.techguy.org

I did a tracert and line dropped at the 205.171.9.30 dca-edge-06.inet.qwest.net

when i rebooted the DSL, I got past that one, and got the IP 24.137.12.200 which takes me to the Forums, but not logged in. It doesn't resolve to a server name, however. I wonder if this is a configuration thing that Mike needs to look at??

7. RandyG

RandyG Thread Starter

Another funny thing about this, is if I use a proxy, I can get in!!

8. RandyG

RandyG Thread Starter

Ok, this time I took several different Traces. using VisualRoute from Virginia and the UK, I have compared it with a trace from my system to TSG. You will notice that every single trace stops after 205.171.9.30, no matter where I started the trace from.

Traces can be found at http://www.ogills.com/Page.htm

anyway, after rebooting, i did a trace to see what's what, and the 2 taken using VisualRoute were exactly the same, as you would expect them to be, but after the reboot, my local trace was identiacal up to the hop 16, where it just resolved to TSG!! Looking at that chart, you will notice that there are 2 hops that could not resolve to anything following 205.171.9.30 before getting to Hop 16!

How strange is this???!!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice