1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timdays, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

I have a PC connected to Router and a wifi router connected to the wired router, which I use for connection when using laptop. All has worked fine for 18-24 months. But. Now at the same time each day, I lose internet connection from my laptop. If I reboot the router, all is fine again for another 24 hours. Any suggestions as to how I can find out why the connection is dropping. Before rebooting the router, it seems that is working fine and the PC via the wired connection is OK.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the laptop losing connection to the wireless router or is the wireless router losing its connection to the wired router?

Do you have the routers cascaded (wired router LAN port connected to wireless router's WAN port) or do you have the 2nd router connected and configured as a switch and wireless access point?

3. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

The wirless router is just connected into the main wired router.
    I am trying to determine if it is losing connection with the router.
    Immediately it goes down at the same time each day, I can see the router and it says limited access.

"Do you have the routers cascaded (wired router LAN port connected to wireless router's WAN port)"
    Thinkk that is what it is, as I have crudely said above.
    Immediately I switch off and on the routers, all is OK.
    Tomorrows job is first to switfh off then on the wireless route, then if it doesn't work, the wired. I assume that will tell me if it is the wired router shutting down on the laptop link?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you said that you're not sure where the disconnect is happening. :) So let's start with this--please show for the laptop with a good connection and again for when it has lost connection.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Also look at the wireless router's WAN (or Internet) LED if it has one--both during the good time and when internet access has been lost.

Then, as you said, reset the wireless router only to see if that helps.

5. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

Thanks for your assistance.
    I have removed the report as since pasting it here, I recognised a location mentioned (Hotel) where I had both wired and wireless access when overseas and the problem I am experiencing no has only occure since my return.
    The hotel web was listed under 'Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :the hotel name.com'
    I recall I did experience the same problem at the hotel, so all I have done now is to connect the laptop via the wired router, did as you suggested and get a different report when looking again using the wireless connection, and the report reads 'Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : '.
    Is it likely some setting were stored from the hotel router?

When/if, it loses connection later today, I intend to in this order:
    1. to re-boot the laptop to see if it makes connection.
    2. see if the pc has a connection via the wired router
    3. re-boot the wireless router
    4. re-boot the wired router

Unless you can suggest a better procedure?
    On reflection and since writing this, I do not think it is the router but something in the laptop, as I can recall the connection being lost when not at my base, as the same time each day (plus the couple of hours time difference for the Country I was in).
    That now presumably put a whole new angle on it?
    The first para was written before the above comment.

6. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

OK, the hour arrived and lost connection. I will cut out the boring process as found that the pc could not access internet via wired router. The LAN Status: Connected.
    Tried 'repair' no good.
    Switch off then on router (wired) and all OK again.
    I assume that the fault lies with the wired router?

Whilst the connection was dead from the pc, did IPCONFIG/ALL as suggested and it reads:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : abc
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-5C-AB-41
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 May 2010 18:42:31
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 May 2010 18:42:31

Hope you can help again. The disconnection happens 18.30 UK time each day.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, it now appears that the main (wired) router is losing its connection to the modem/ISP. Check its WAN or Internet status where it shows your public IP and other info. In particular, what is the Lease Obtained and the Lease Expires? Unfortunately, not all routers show this.

8. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

What type of internet connection are you using - cable, dsl, etc.? I think TerryNet is on a good path for lease expiration; I have seen DHCP renewals cause an interruption of service. Also check the lights on your modem (not the router) when the connection drops; I'd be curious to see if the trouble is at the router or at the modem.

I've seen some strange issues when you have a reliable disconnection occur. At my previous employer, I helped troubleshoot a customer's DSL line that would disconnect everyday right around 3:00pm. After a few calls, she finally called in around the time the disconnect occurs. While talking to her, shortly after 3:00pm, her call disconnects. I tested her line and found that all noise on the line had stopped (meaning the main telephone line was disconnected) then immediately come back on. I called her back and asked her to describe how her telephone lines are connected. As it turns out, her son would come home from school and open the back patio door. The customer's internal wiring ran across the top of the patio door. Eventually, the door caught the wire just right that when the door was opened, the line would disconnect. When the door was closed, service would resume. /cool story bro

Anyway, it might not be such a bad idea to call your internet provider to see if the see any disconnection of your service at that time. This will, if nothing else, tell you if the problem is your equipment or theirs. :)

9. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

I am currently online chat to the internet provider and have asked the very question you mention.
    I have a BT line to filter and into Netgear router. All lights flicker as normal.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ask if they make any kind of daily "sweep" of lines at that time to find invalid equipment. They may be checking the connected MAC address and not have your current one in their database. My daughter got caught like that once when Comcast cable restored their database from several months back.

11. timdays

timdays Thread Starter

This is what they advised.
    Change the filter, check the phone line, disconnect all other
    devices on the phone line and connect router to test socket of the master
    socket and then monitor the connection.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 May 2010 18:42:31
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 May 2010 18:42:31
    That means the internal communication between your computer and the
    router.
    This is just a status information for the ethernet connection.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice