1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

losing downloads

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kat6, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kat6

Kat6 Thread Starter

Help me, after a few months of working fine my new computer has started or rather stopped maintaining anything that it has downloaded. When I try to download it all starts off ok, prompted for opening or saving file, then asked where I want save to, then all seems to be working normally except at the end of download procedure - nothing. Please someone help I am starting to get really frustrated now.:confused:

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Try using a download manager like Flashget, Get Right, etc.

3. Kat6

Kat6 Thread Starter

thanks for your sugestion the problem is I can not download anything even software that has the potential to solve the problem!!!!:eek:

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Oh, you suffer from the one computer syndrome eh? Two things you can try if you haven't yet. One is to reboot into safe mode with networking and see if a download will complete, and two is to log out of your account and create and log into a fresh account and see if a download will work for you there.

Also, depending on how long this problem has ben going on, its a candidate for using system restore if you have a restore point that goes back to when downloads did work.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Ok, wait a minute here. Is there a default download folder or directory? That is where your downloads should be. For simplicity, I choose to have my downloads go to my Desktop folder (in order to see them). Then if you want to move the download to its own newly created folder/directory - you know where it is and where you want to put it.

For simplicity, on WinXP, I created an Archive folder to contain all of the downloads I do with their own folder/directory there to organize it in C:\Archive.

Mostly to install any programs - they usually wind up in the Programs Folder with their own folder identity according to their product - but, you do not need to install them from there, but can do so from almost anywhere. One key is that depending on how well the software integrates to Windows, it may or may not be able to be deleted (in full - if necessary) later when a problem arises. To control such problems where NOT all files related to a program are deleted which can cause problems - if you install usually any 3rd party program with a tool like v2.35 of Total Uninstall - you can be assured that upon uninstallation you will be able to uninstall all of its files - not a small problem for all of us.

Lastly, for Windows, I recommend highly that after you solve this problem you get the "Free Download Manager" from here. It simply is the best!

And last, but not least - try what fairnooks recommended first.

-- Tom

6. Kat6

Kat6 Thread Starter

thanks guys, I opened a second account and things seem to be working ok in there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice