1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing graphics when I tidy up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darwin1971, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darwin1971

darwin1971 Thread Starter

Hi folks!

Was running some maintenance on a computer and I'm having an odd problem.

I ran it through the works, Panda AV, Adaware, spybot, disk cleanup....

and I found when I'd reboot, the graphics would be all Kaflooey. It would be stuck at the lowest resolution (and not allow me to change) with the chunky colors. I checked the drivers for the monitor and card, and they all checked out.

To make a long story short, after some trial and error, I found that only when I removed the Temporary Internet files would this problem occur.

I can fix it by doing a window restore, and all the other spyware/AV programs can run successfully, but I can't touch the Temp files.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. cancon

cancon

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Somehow I doubt if ccleaner will do the trick because ccleaner will clean out the temp files thus causing the problem to re-occur.

I would suggest go into safe mode and then device manager and check out how many display adapter drivers there are in there and remove all of them even if there is only one remove it then exit out normally by clicking OK as many times as necessary then reboot and let windows re-install the display driver or video driver which ever you want to call it.

I would also get the latest video driver from the manufacturer of the video card and then install that one.

When done go delete the temp files and see if your system still does the same thing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice