1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing internet connection on desk top after power failures but not on lap tops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gardenparty, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardenparty

Gardenparty Thread Starter

I leave on one of my computers on all the time, an Acer desktop with Windows XP. I also have two laptops. I have Verizon DSL and a linksy wireless G router. When we have a power outage the Acer desk top loses it's internet connection. Trying to reconnect the connection takes hours. Even when we finally get it back we have no idea how we did it. The laptops which of course were off have no problem.

Garden

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you get power outages often , is the PC on a surge protector - its possible these outages may damage the desktop , if theres any surges
    do you need to leave the machine all the time ?

3. Gardenparty

Gardenparty Thread Starter

No, power outages happen maybe once every couple of months. The computer is on a surge protector. We eventually put in the routers key again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice