1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

losing internet though router signal strong

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wahdm7, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Hello. I use the main PC with wireless connection via Netgear DGB111G to access the internet, my son uses a second PC with shared wireless connection. Recently, I have started losing connection to the internet even though the router appears to be providing a strong signal. I regularly go into My Network Places, re-type my Wireless Networks WAP-PSK password, then try to connect, again via WAP-PSK password, to the router. Sometimes this works, more recently not so much. Occasionally, the connection will suddenly happen in the midst of other activities. My son seems to be able to connect even when I can not.
    My technical knowledge is patchy and untrained(!), but could it be a problem with my ISP or should I be investigating my hardware/software/settings?
    Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is your Operating System and service pack level?

Your wireless adapter?

What wireless utility do you use to manage the wireless connection?

3. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home. I suppose the Service Pack is the latest as I've updated every time I'm asked.
    I'm using the WG111v2 adapter that came with the router and I allow Windows to deal with the connection.
    Thanks.

4. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Although I set it up using the Netgear utility originally.
    Thanks.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your symptoms are often caused by multiple wireless utilities running. Since you are using XP's WZC, make sure that Netgear's is not running. Remove its shortcut icon from the Startup folder if it is in there.

6. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Have been to Start Up in 'msconfig'. I can't see Netgear in there although the adapter is. Am I looking in the right place?

7. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Have just been back to Windows Network Connections wizard and cancelled the 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network connections', then re-connected with Netgear. It seems to be working. If it continues I'll run with it. If you think I need to do any more, please let me know.
    Otherwise, thanks very much again for your help. This online support really is helpful and much appreciated!
    wahdm7

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, and I'm glad we could help.

I prefer the Netgear utility over XP's WZC, but the important things are to make sure that only one is running and to use whichever works better or that you prefer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice