1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing Just *some* CD/DVD Drive Letter Assignments every boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amby19, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amby19

amby19 Thread Starter

I used the Disk Management tool to assign specific drive letters to each non-hard drive on my system (M for my external firewire MyBook drive, R and S for my two CD/DVD drives, P for a virtual CD/DVD drive, U for the memory card reader in my HP All-In-One, and X for my USB flash drive when it's plugged in).

But now when I reboot, I *always* lose the drive letter assignment of just *some* of my CD/DVD drives: one actual CD/DVD drive reverts from "R" to "G", and one virtual CD/DVD drive reverts from "P" to "H". G & H are the first drive letters after my internal hard drives/partitions. None of the others seem to be touched! That actual CD/DVD drive is installed as Master on the Secondary IDE port. (The other real drive is Master on the Primary, and its drive letter never changes).

This started happening only recently (in the last few days). Before then, I did not have this problem.

Naturally, I ran extensive anti-virus and anti-malware tools against everything on every drive. (That includes Avira Classic Free AV and G Data AV (with both the Kaspersy and the BitDefender engines), A-Squared anti-malware and Spyboy S&D), all with the latest definitions.) But nothing was found. I also run with an absolute minimum of startups; out of the 30 or so that would run if I let them, I only allow about 6 (but that hasn't changed recently).

There hasn't been any significant changes to my system; only a couple of extremely routine software installs. I tried uninstalling them again, but it made no difference.

Any ideas about what's going on and how to fix it?

System Configuration:

Motherboard: Abit IS7 -- Socket 478
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4(c) CPU 3.2GHz (Northwood), hyper-threaded
    Chipset: Intel i865-ICH5 chipset (Intel 865/848 Springdale)
    Storage Controllers: Intel(R) 82801EB/ER Ultra ATA (x2)
    Total Memory: 1GB Micron/Crucial DDR-SDRAM
    Video Adapter : RADEON 9200 Series
    Audio: Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1

Hard Disk : WDC WD3200JD-22KLB0
    Hard Disk : WDC WD740GD-00FLC0
    Hard Disk : WD External HDD Device IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
    CD/DVD : LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H FW: LL06
    CD/DVD : _NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A FW: 2.19

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (SP 2)

2. amby19

amby19 Thread Starter

*bump*

Surely someone has an idea or suggestion, don't they?

3. Bodragon

Bodragon

Nope!

I, actually have the same problem.

Still searching for an answer as of now.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If these are removable drives and are removed when they are plugged back in they will be assigned new drive letter designations, as far as I know you have to leave them plugged into the exact same posts all of the time and if you want to remove them I would try shutting down the computer and then remove them and when you go to turn the computer back in plug the devices back into the same port that they were in the last time after shut-down.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice