1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing Network Dirves

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dizzle_deasy, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy Thread Starter

The clients on my windows 2000 Server network lose network drives once in a while. The problem doesn't occur very often but it shouldn't happen at all. The problem has only occured twice in the last 2 weeks and it was on different computers. I have heard from the past network admin that the problem has occurred before and he didn't know what caused it either. When the problem occurs the user gets a message that there is a problem reconnecting to the drive. The fix we have been using is simply to log off and log back on. Any responses that may be helpful would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is this a domain or a workgroup setting?

3. dizzle_deasy

4. dizzle_deasy

now the same problem has happened on two other computers on the same network and different users. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sorry lost track of your post - I actually answer more than i can keep up with.

Lets check the first cuprit -tends to be the problem 9 out of 10 times.

Domains use Active Directory and they REALLY rely on DNS.

The best test is to ping a machinename (perferably from the problem computer, even more perfrably while its having the problem) if it replies back with the FQDN then you may not be having DNS issues but if you only get machinename and NOT machinname.domain then your in trouble.

Here is what you want to do. On the server verify you have DNS service installed and setup. Next you want to ensure that in the DNS server you have a forwarder put in place on the DNS server from your server to the ISP's DNS servers (probably what you have coded on the clients or you can check your router and get the IPs from the WAN section). Lastly on the server itself have the DNS IPs set to its own IP or the loopback 127.0.0.1

Once you have all of that setup I would take 1 machine and change the DNS to point to the SERVER only (do NOT add secondary ISP DNS IPs). Check login times and ping with the machinename vrs the machiname.domain.

With MS and domains you always want DNS to flow like this -

PC resolves DNS to server - Server resolves DNS to itself but if it can't then it forwards to ISP - ISP has its internet DNS servers. This way you resolve internal AD stuff but if the server doesn't know any internet DNS it gets it from the ISP.

Bad DNS can cause client drops, slow logins, GPO's not applying correctly and many other major symptoms.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice