1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing one dvd drive.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by keesu1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keesu1

keesu1 Thread Starter

Hi, I have two dvd drives on my system but sometimes when I boot up it only shows one of them ( the same one ). If it put the windows 8 disk in the player that's missing, I just click go to windows 8 and when loaded it shows both drives. It only does this every so often. They both show in the bios. Any ideas. Thanks.

2. gurutech

gurutech

Check Disk Manager to make sure that you don't have them both assigned the same drive letter, or have a "network" drive using the same drive letter as what is assigned to the DVD drive.

You can reassign letters by clicking on the drive (in Disk Manager) and choosing to reassign it.

3. keesu1

keesu1 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. The drives are shown as 'D' and 'E' , which were ok when I was running windows 7 and as I stated the d drive shows as normal if I put the windows 8 disk in this drive and start windows 8 from repair disk. Also it seems to happen if there is an upgrade or something . In other words it doesn't feel solid.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - make sure 'Hide empty drives in the Computer folder' is not selected.

By the way, you are talking about the Computer folder, right?

5. keesu1

keesu1 Thread Starter

Thanks ,i am talking about the computer link ( showing hard drives and dvd drives ), but the 'hide empty drives' is not selected

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice