Losing one dvd drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

keesu1

Hi, I have two dvd drives on my system but sometimes when I boot up it only shows one of them ( the same one ). If it put the windows 8 disk in the player that's missing, I just click go to windows 8 and when loaded it shows both drives. It only does this every so often. They both show in the bios. Any ideas. Thanks.

Check Disk Manager to make sure that you don't have them both assigned the same drive letter, or have a "network" drive using the same drive letter as what is assigned to the DVD drive.

You can reassign letters by clicking on the drive (in Disk Manager) and choosing to reassign it.

keesu1

Thanks for your reply. The drives are shown as 'D' and 'E' , which were ok when I was running windows 7 and as I stated the d drive shows as normal if I put the windows 8 disk in this drive and start windows 8 from repair disk. Also it seems to happen if there is an upgrade or something . In other words it doesn't feel solid.

TerryNet

Terry
Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - make sure 'Hide empty drives in the Computer folder' is not selected.

By the way, you are talking about the Computer folder, right?

keesu1

Thanks ,i am talking about the computer link ( showing hard drives and dvd drives ), but the 'hide empty drives' is not selected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online