1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing Wallpaper

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fishercrc, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fishercrc

fishercrc Thread Starter

I have a compaq desktop about 3 or 4 years old. When I turn it on in the morning I have to put my wallpaper back on. It disappears every night. Any suggestions on how I start troubleshooting?

Thanks,
    Suzanne

2. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

is this a recent wallpaper you have started to use??

If so, make sure there is a copy of the file in your windows folder

3. hewee

hewee

Welcome to TSG :)

Sounds like you have a wallpaper program set to change the wallpaper every day. Do you have any type of program like that?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi Frank

Sorry to have to have a slight dissagreement with you here:eek:

On my windows98 computer I keep my wallpaper in C:\WINDOWS\WEB\Wallpaper and apart from a couple of bitmaps, I have around 50 .jpg's which all work ok as wallpaper.

steam

6. hewee

hewee

steamwiz,

Your right and wrong. :)
    If you use other programs that let you set a desktop background, IE, Netscape, Image program etc. then they can use other image formats. But they are changed into a .bmp as flavallee said because windows only uses .bmp. Not sure if the program or weindows makes the changes. If I look in my windows folder I have Plus (from windows), Internet Explorer Wallpaper, Netscape 7.0 Wallpaper, ACD Wallpaper, webshots and just now got Netscape Wallpaper after using Netscape 4.70 to set a background. Just used PhotoBrush to set a wallpaper and it added PhotoBrushWall to the windows folder. They were all .jpg images I used but they couple of them that are in the windows folder are all .bmp.

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

hewee

Either I'm missing the point here:confused: or I don't agree with you - sorry

No third party software involved - just Windows desktop wallpaper.

[​IMG]

As you can see - all .jpg's

Attached Files:

8. steamwiz

steamwiz

And this is the folder

[​IMG]

Again as you can see - all .jpg's

Attached Files:

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the images are in .BMP format a-n-d are in the C:\WINDOWS folder, they will automatically appear in the list of wallpaper for you to select when you click the Background tab.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

10. hewee

hewee

All of mine are .bmp as I said and they show up as flavallee said in the above post also.
    Never seen them show as .jpeg

11. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi Frank

Glad we got that sorted:D

I thought you were saying ALL wallpaper had to be .bmp and had to be in the C:\WINDOWS folder

But what you were saying is if you want it to automatically appear in display properties and it's a .bmp it has to be in the C:\WINDOWS folder

All I was saying was wallpaper can be a .jpg ( but to automatically appear in display properties it has to be in C:\WINDOWS\WEB\Wallpaper )you can also put .bmp's in here, but then I guess it is only a sub-folder of the C:\WINDOWS folder

steam

12. steamwiz

steamwiz

hewee

The images will only be added to Display properties from C:\WINDOWS if they are a .bmp - like frank says

But put them in C:\WINDOWS\WEB\Wallpaper and they will be added if they are .jpg's

13. Rockn

Rockn

Steam is correct on the placement of the files. If you just select them by browsing to a folder location they will not always stay on the list in your wallpaper list. One thing however about using jpg's or gif's as wallpaper is that you have to use Active Desktop in order to use them and it is a major resource hog. If you don't have that great of a system with resources to spare just use bitmaps for wallpaper.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    No problem, Steamwiz. :)

I don't use Active Desktop on either of my computers anyway, and I prefer to keep a nice blue background with NO wallpaper. :)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

15. hewee

hewee

I don't use Active Desktop either.
    What I am saying is that I can use any image format that Netscape. IE, ACDsee and the other image program will open that let you set a desktop wallpaper and it makes a file in the windows folder. Look at the first 4 in the list in the image and they are .bmp. But they were all from .jpg and the webshot was from wbc file. They are turned into a .bmp to be used as a desktop wallpaper. It never uses the file it can from but the new bmp that it made and put onto the windows folder.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice