1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing wifi signal intermittently constantly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by storkfmny, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. storkfmny

storkfmny Thread Starter

I've been having a problem with my wifi connection.
    First off, I give my neighbor $15 a month to use his connection, so I have no control over the router.
    Haven't had problems until recently, here it is...
    I'll be surfing along or just checking mail or whatever and out of the blue my connection stops. A little yellow triangle "warning" sign covers the signal strength meter in the lower right corner. If I click on the signal meter, up pops the list of wireless connections available to me and says that I'm connected, (but I'm not). So I go to the network and sharing center and sometimes this alone will restart the signal but usually I have to run the troubleshooter and the signal will come back with no explanation of what the problem is.
    While in the network and sharing center, my connection to the router looks clear and connected but shows a red X over the connection between the router and Internet. My neighbor says no one else is experiencing any problems. This problem comes and goes at will, sometimes it can be an hour or longer before it quits and sometimes it will go out on me 3 or 4 times in ten minutes.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Something is a miss here.

First off, it this on a laptop?
    What are the weather condition when this happens? Does this happen when it is a certain time of day, location of where this happens? Is it just in one spot or all over the place.

Sometimes a certain location will give off more EMF interference than another.
    The signal of the radio is missing, you will need to get xirrus program to determine the signal strenght. Get the free program here:

http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

Just as a thought also and depending on your provider in your location, why not just get your own lan?

It is just as cheap.

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

it also sounds like that the "provider" is using their computer as a gateway, but I could be wrong.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably your neighbor has standard residential service, which is for one household only, and he is breaking the terms of his service by re-selling it. This is a form of "piggy-backing" and we do not support that.

If he has some other service that permits this use you can PM me a link to his service terms. Closing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice