Losing windows CD's

Do you have your Operating System Disks/media?

  • Yes

    Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'd have to look

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    11

dez_666

Thread Starter
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
842
Why does it seem like everyone (or most people who come on here for help..) have lost their Windows CD's or their computer's recovery disks (or other OS install CD's..)? :(

Why is it so hard to hold on to your disks that are your soft cushy pillow if you do something dumb? I cant understand how you could lose that vital lifeline :confused:

Someone enlighten me? Any thoughts?
 

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Joined
Sep 10, 2006
Messages
9,126
dez_666 said:
Why does it seem like everyone (or most people who come on here for help..) have lost their Windows CD's or their computer's recovery disks (or other OS install CD's..)? :(
1. The laptop or desktop is stolen.
2. They stupidly bought a used PC on Ebay.
3. They are trying to hack the parental control software.
4. They were so excited when the new PC arrived in the mail they threw away everything that came in the box with it.
5. They would not know the difference between an install CD, recovery disks, or a recovery partition if it hit them in the face.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
353
The people who are loosing the cds, are the same people who are loosing money.

Simply silly people. :)
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
6,118
I would say either 4 or 5.

With Dell, the OS comes pre-installed. And you don't need a recovery CD because there is a recovery system that Dell has loaded into the BIOS (I think ?)... anyhow you never need a CD when you own a Dell! :D
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
6,118
Also, it is very easy to pirate software these days, so a good percentage probably doesn't even have a legal copy of Windows.
 

dez_666

Thread Starter
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
842
Ick. barf. Dell. >_>'

I cant stand a dell PC. Or any other proprietary computer for that matter. But dell is the worst. :mad:
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
6,118
dez_666 said:
Ick. barf. Dell. >_>'

I cant stand a dell PC. Or any other proprietary computer for that matter. But dell is the worst. :mad:
Hey, easy on the Dell!

For brand named computers, I would actually say that Dell is at the very top, followed by HP. Sure people have their dislikes, but I haven't had one problem owning a Dell in 3 years.
 

dez_666

Thread Starter
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
842
Maybe I just hate dell because I dont like the idea of someone holding my hand :)
I dont need that, so I dont buy proprietary PC's. Another reason I dislike dell is because of the troubles ive had with them :rolleyes: Its not exactly fun having an argument with underpaid tech support for a friend's pc.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
6,118
dez_666 said:
Maybe I just hate dell because I dont like the idea of someone holding my hand :)
I dont need that, so I dont buy proprietary PC's. Another reason I dislike dell is because of the troubles ive had with them :rolleyes: Its not exactly fun having an argument with underpaid tech support for a friend's pc.
Why would you be arguing with them in the first place? Sure their underpaid, but they do a great job from what I've seen.
 
Joined
Jan 16, 2001
Messages
5,037
ACA529 said:
I would say either 4 or 5.

With Dell, the OS comes pre-installed. And you don't need a recovery CD because there is a recovery system that Dell has loaded into the BIOS (I think ?)... anyhow you never need a CD when you own a Dell! :D
its not in the BIOS its a recovery partition that has an "as shipped" snapshot on it you can use as a restore if needed. But Dell will ship you your CD's if you call them. I had an OS "reinstalation" CD, Drivers and Utilities CD and Aplications CD in my hands free of charge 3 days after calling them

I'd bet anything "They stupidly bought a used PC on Ebay" (or some other used pc dealer) is the number 1 reason (which I suppose could include "The laptop or desktop is stolen")
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top