1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing windows CD's

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by dez_666, Jul 9, 2007.

?

Do you have your Operating System Disks/media?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I'd have to look

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Advertisement
  1. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Why does it seem like everyone (or most people who come on here for help..) have lost their Windows CD's or their computer's recovery disks (or other OS install CD's..)? :(

Why is it so hard to hold on to your disks that are your soft cushy pillow if you do something dumb? I cant understand how you could lose that vital lifeline :confused:

Someone enlighten me? Any thoughts?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

1. The laptop or desktop is stolen.
    2. They stupidly bought a used PC on Ebay.
    3. They are trying to hack the parental control software.
    4. They were so excited when the new PC arrived in the mail they threw away everything that came in the box with it.
    5. They would not know the difference between an install CD, recovery disks, or a recovery partition if it hit them in the face.

3. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Top 5 reasons for comming on TSG, you think? :eek:

4. emoric

emoric

The people who are loosing the cds, are the same people who are loosing money.

Simply silly people. :)

5. ACA529

ACA529

I would say either 4 or 5.

With Dell, the OS comes pre-installed. And you don't need a recovery CD because there is a recovery system that Dell has loaded into the BIOS (I think ?)... anyhow you never need a CD when you own a Dell! :D

6. ACA529

ACA529

Also, it is very easy to pirate software these days, so a good percentage probably doesn't even have a legal copy of Windows.

7. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Ick. barf. Dell. >_>'

I cant stand a dell PC. Or any other proprietary computer for that matter. But dell is the worst. :mad:

8. ACA529

ACA529

Hey, easy on the Dell!

For brand named computers, I would actually say that Dell is at the very top, followed by HP. Sure people have their dislikes, but I haven't had one problem owning a Dell in 3 years.

9. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I'd say 4 or 5.

10. ACA529

ACA529

We think alike. :D

11. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Maybe I just hate dell because I dont like the idea of someone holding my hand :)
    I dont need that, so I dont buy proprietary PC's. Another reason I dislike dell is because of the troubles ive had with them :rolleyes: Its not exactly fun having an argument with underpaid tech support for a friend's pc.

12. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

ACA529,
    Yes indeed. It's deja vu all over again!

Richard.

13. ACA529

ACA529

Why would you be arguing with them in the first place? Sure their underpaid, but they do a great job from what I've seen.

14. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

its not in the BIOS its a recovery partition that has an "as shipped" snapshot on it you can use as a restore if needed. But Dell will ship you your CD's if you call them. I had an OS "reinstalation" CD, Drivers and Utilities CD and Aplications CD in my hands free of charge 3 days after calling them

I'd bet anything "They stupidly bought a used PC on Ebay" (or some other used pc dealer) is the number 1 reason (which I suppose could include "The laptop or desktop is stolen")

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!