1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing wireless network connetion on 1 computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GaryDZ, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryDZ

GaryDZ Thread Starter

I a losing connection to my wireless network (on only 1 computer) intermittently about every 5-10 minutes. It is not at regular intervals and it only lasts a few seconds. It will usually fix itself, but occasionally I have to “repair” connection.

If I open the software that controls my network adapter and turn off then on the radio signal it fixes itself.

Background:

I have had this problem for the past 6+ months.
    It only happens to my desktop computer, 2 laptops at the same location work fine. After trying everything I could think of and find on this web site I give up. I have re-installed Windows XP Home (no difference). Upgraded my Router to a Belkin N1 router and this computer’s Network adaptor to N protocol (hopping for a better signal), no difference. I have a great Signal, connecting at 65.0Mbps and signal strength VERY GOOD. It still drops frequently.

Virus Scan Neg
    Zone Alarm Suite as a Firewall--- Loss of network connection seems to go un-noticed by Zone Alarm (no warnings).

I ran NET Stumbler: I am not sure what I am looking for or what is considered GOOD.

On Channels, It shows that I am on Channel 1 and no other routers in the area are using Channel 1. The closest channel being used is Channel 6. I am using WEP, SNR is 44, Signal+ -54, Noise -100, SNR+ 46,

If I open the NET Stumbler screen with the Green graphic of Signal/Noise and zoom in, I see areas of a narrow black line through the green, that I think represent the loss of network connection. Even during these times my router signal strength says very good. It does not last long… I tried to see if IPCONFIG had any changes before, during and after the problem… and I did not see any difference.

This is some of the settings I have in Windows:
    Control Panel-- Internet Prop--- Connections--- (set to never dial a connection) and LAN Settings—Auto detect settings is NOT checked.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi and welcome to TSG:
    Ok,I'll take a stab at this.
    Generally on loss of connection issues we recommend:
    Upgrade router firmware.Since you have upgraded your router,we can probably eliminate that,and you upgraded the network adapter.
    Next we would recommend resetting the router to it's default condition,but if you have had this over 2 routers,probably not a viable option.
    And last be not least,we would suggest changing the wireless channel.(1/6/11) in US.
    That may not help either,but let's give it a try,if you have not already,and see where we can go from there
    Also,this could occur if you have more than one wireless adapter utility running.Can cause some issues,like disconnects.
    Wireless zero config(wzc) generally is the XP default,but try to make sure that your wireless adapter's utility,if any,is not also running .
    WZC status can be seen by

Start/run type in service.msc(this is the list of system services and their current system state).WZC will be at the bottom..
    Just for a brain check,disable it if running ,see if your network adapter is still available,if it is,there may be another wireless manager running,if not,then WZC is probably the only manager.
    Other than that,I cannot think of anything else right now.
    Got really good techs here so they will probably have some other suggestions also.

3. GaryDZ

GaryDZ Thread Starter

I think I figured it out.... and I would never have thought of it.

I originally thought that something on my mother board must be going... all other computers on the network worked fine. A laptop sitting on the coputer worked fine. This one would just drop dignal for 1-2 sec. every few min.

I checked and I was not on the same channel as anyone in the area

I swapped out a PCI wireless adapter... a USB wireless adapter. I re-installed windows. I even move the computer to 2 feet away from the router.... it worked fine if it was wired to the router.

I was about to order a new computer... when i put my old computer in its place and it started to happen....

I ran NetStumbler still could not see anything weird.... Everyone on different channels (4 routers in the area, all with their own little icon.)

I then went to SSID... the icons look like an inverted T (network cable). I noticed that one of the "T"s has 2 listings one being my router, named under another router... with a different channel?????

It does not tell you the IP address for these routers.

I went in can changed my IP address to something weird.... Problem solved!

Anyone ever see this before?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice