1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Losing Wireless on Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by myrc60, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. myrc60

myrc60 Thread Starter

I have three computers networked on a Netgear WGT624 108mbps router. I run WPA security on this router.

Computer #1 is hard wired and I don't think it has any problems.

Computer #2 is running wireless on a 108mbps netgear card and WinXP SP2. I think this computer loses wireless but I'm not entirely sure.

Computer #3 is running wireless on a 54mpbs netgear card and Win2000. This computer consistently drops the wireless connection; I can hear the audible it makes when it gains connectivity and it happens a lot.

Charter's website prompted me to check DHCP and it is on as required. I'm not sure what else I should be looking for.

Thanks for your help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd be looking for wireless interference at the top of the list. Change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, or 11 and non-interfering channels in the US. If that doesn't do it, I'd download and install the latest firmware for the router, then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure.

3. myrc60

myrc60 Thread Starter

Thanks, JohnWill!

Interference from what? Wireless keyboard/mouse? All landline phones are wired but I do have at least 1 cell phone in the vicinity of these computers.

I've read somewhere that I have to be on channel 6 because I'm running 108mbps so I don't think changing the channel is an option.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try the router on standard 54Mbps and see if the Netgear card does any better.

Wireless interference is often from another network on the same or close channel.

5. JohnWill

If it doesn't work at all, that's a lot slower than 108mbit, right? Try the channel change and see how it goes, you can always go back. :D

6. myrc60

myrc60 Thread Starter

Okay, well I updated all my drivers both for the router and the cards. I switched to 54mbps and swapped out one of the cards because I thought maybe it was the card. Its better, but still drops from time to time. I will play with it some more this weekend. I use most settings at the default level so if you know Charter requires a different setting somewhere, please let me know.

7. JohnWill

I don't know that Charter requires anything special.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice