1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loss hardware space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Couriant, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    I had a second drive in my machine. I blew out the partition and formatted it to FAT32 via Disk Management. When I did this I lost about 3Gb on my c drive. What I mean is that 3Gb of space is used up, but I can't find what is caused this difference. I saw the difference being made when I formatted the other drive. Anyone seen this before?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, FAT32 loses a lot of capacity to slack space in larger partitions. How big is this second disk? What is the exact model of the drive, and what capacity do you see in Disk Management?

3. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Well here's the thing:

I was going to use my old computer as a play computer (as in installing windows 98 with 2000 and use it for troubleshooting and playing around with.) The drive (OLD) I was going to use was formatted with NTFS (it had Win XP Pro at the time). I connected it to my new computer. (Now known as NEW) NEW has a 200Gb drive which is partitioned as 20Gb for C: (system files only), 50Gb each for D: and E: drives, F: is about 70Gb and finally G: is about 4Gb. This is for the PAGE FILE. (wait, that can't be right... but it's an approximate on the drives) All drives are NTFS. Before the FAT32 'conversion' I had about 18Gb free. When I did the format on the OLD drive (it was an 20Gb) it changed C: to 16Gb without me doing anything else. OLD is no longer in my NEW but I still can't figure out what caused the shift on the

4. unknownguy18

unknownguy18

I have a similar issue. I have Win98 installed on a PIII with an 80Gig hard disk drive, Fat32 partition for this particular OS install. I allotted 6 Gigs but it only recognizes 3. Some of my software sees that partition as a 6 Gig partition but it says I have 600 Megs used and 2400 Megs of free space, therefore only seeing 3 Gigs of that partition. I have not yet resolved the problem.

5. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    You might need to update your BIOS. Most older motherboards cannot see a large disk capacity drive without a flash update.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice