Solved loss of battery notifications

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aliisa

I'd be grateful if somebody could help me figure out why my battery notifications have stopped. I used to get a sound, a popup and a dimming of the screen at various stages of depletion but the laptop now simply shuts down with no warning. I've checked Power Options, Sounds and Notifications & Actions. All look fine. I get other Windows notifications, just nothing for the battery.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8092 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 236 GB (170 GB Free); D: 1838 GB (1763 GB Free); E: 24 GB (3 GB Free); I: 465 GB (324 GB Free);
Motherboard: MEDION, D17KHN
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Couriant

James
Not sure if you can see it (I couldn't) but click on the Notifications icon on bottom right, then All Settings > System > Notifications and see if Battery is listed here and Notifications turned on

aliisa

Hi James. Notifications is ON. Battery saver is listed and ON.

Couriant

James
Unfortunately I am not versed to the Battery notifications. To confirm, does the battery go to 0-3% percent before it shuts down?

aliisa

I recall it getting as low as triggering the battery saver (eco saving?) icon which I think is set at 7%, though there are so many "low battery" settings, who knows what the correct figure is. I could run the battery down and try to keep an eye on it. Any possibility that a duff battery could be the cause?

Couriant

James
also, i am not on a laptop right now, but if you go to the plans settings:
upload_2019-8-12_17-5-28.png

Then click on Change Advanced Power Settings, I believe there you can see the values for when you should get a warning.

managed

Allan
It could need a new battery, is the one in it now the original battery ? How old is it ?

aliisa

James - there are notifications for Critical and Low battery. Critical is set at 5%, Low at 20% (upped from 10% in the hope of gaining an earlier warning before crash). Medion Erazer P7647.

Allan - judging by install dates, laptop bought around Nov 2017 and original battery. Wow, didn't realise it was that old! BTW, Liverpool Football Club. They play football in Liverpool?

Couriant

James
It's possible that the battery could not be reporting correctly, but I haven't seen that yet.

aliisa

I assume the laptop measures the battery output, not the battery reporting to it. Anyhow, the battery report for the last 3 days (attached) shows the lowest active capacity was 15%. That should at least have triggered the Low battery warning which is set at 20%. However, it seems there's been a rapid deterioration in capacity and battery life since the 8th of this month, so maybe I should be looking at a new battery, even if it isn't the cause of this problem.

Attachments

Couriant

James
It does appear that the battery health is diminishing and I would also recommend getting a new battery. Check with the manufacturer to see if they will replace it for free. Also do you know if the battery is starting to swell?

I don't know if your manufacturer has this policy, but Dell started to replace batteries for free if they are starting to swell.

aliisa

The battery is physically fine but I've yet to establish if battery failure is the cause of the problem.

Couriant

James
considering your battery report is showing about 55% health/capacity I would get it replaced as it would probably last around 1 - 1.5 hours off AC, depending on the usage.

aliisa

Actually, tonight it put up a notification and sounded an alarm at 17%, even though nothing is set at 17%. What can I say? I'll see if it continues to behave but look to replace the battery. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online